Help Please - fitting a 15mm flexi from existing copper pipe to coldwater tap | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help Please - fitting a 15mm flexi from existing copper pipe to coldwater tap in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

S

Stuart1977

Hi am trying to fit a 15mm flexi connector from copper pipe to a cold water tap. Whatever i do, the nut and the olive will not fit down enough onto the existing copper pipe so I cant get a good connection on the flexi. Can anyone give me some advice?? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks !

Stu

Hello stuart.
if the nut and olive are just that bit to tight it is probably 1/2" pipe, how old is the property?
if it is half inch you will need to get a fitting to convert to 15mm or get a smooth file on it and carefully shave the copper till it fits the olive.

Upvote 0
just a thought did you cut the existing pipe with a roller or a hacksaw?
if it was with a saw could just be rough edges need deburring

Upvote 0
Hi Simon, thansk for replying!

Its 1950s build, but i changed the hot water tap next to it the other month no problem.

It was cup with a pipe cutter, checked the cut is nice and smooth and even. Ive tried cutting some more away from the copper pipe in case it was just a blemish or something like that that was stopping it.

I take it that because i cant get a good connection on it, thats why the nut can move with little pressure applied?

Absolutely lost on this lol!

Cheers

Stuart

Upvote 0
I take it that because i cant get a good connection on it, thats why the nut can move with little pressure applied?

so just to check, does the olive fit around the pipe or not?
do you have any other flexis/olives to try?
if it is too tight as in my first reply, then get shaving the pipe

Upvote 0
It fits about 5mm over the cut, but its really stiff, and im under the impression that the flexi is held flush with the copper pipe, then the olive pushed up to it then the nut? i dont think the olive and nut can move down far enough for a good connection to be made?

Bit of a novice as you can see...

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Is there any paint on the pipe that might be stopping the olive from going on the pipe?Sounds like the olive may be dented slightly, so can you change it for a new brass one? Have you considered using a push fit one onto the copper. If so, ensure that you mark full slip on the pipe first.

Upvote 0
Is it a case where some fittings have a deeper bore and so the old olive will not seal as the new fitting is more shallow?

I get this regular with ball valves new one wont fit so i have to cut back the copper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Marley Equator Demount tool in 15mm seem to be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Those angled service valves are gash. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi. Do you mean the Flomasta one I linked to...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No
Replies
Views
Back