Help please! One radiator not working on combi boiler system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help please! One radiator not working on combi boiler system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milkmaid1510

Hello -

Please can you help? I'm not familiar with radiators are all and don't do much DIY so please bear with me...

I have a combi boiler and radiators that are all relatively new (4 years old). All my radiators are working fine EXCEPT one big one in the top bedroom. The top bedroom gets quite cold so I really need the radiator to work!

The combi boiler is at the top of the house close to the radiator that isn't working properly. There is a towel radiator in the wetroom next to the big radiator in the top room and the towel radiator works fine and is blasting out heat.

The radiator that isn't working properly has a thermostatic valve on it. We've tried bleeding it but a stream of water comes out immediately. The radiator is set on the highest level 5 but it is VERY patchy and doesn't heat up very well in the areas of the radiator that do warm up a bit.

The pipe that flows into the radiator is hot to the touch but the pipe that flows out is cold.

Is it a balancing problem? And if so, how can I fix it easily?

Can I adjust the little valve (or is it a valve??) that is on the out flow pipe of the radiator?

Your help is much appreciated as my parents are currently visiting and staying in the top room and are FREEZING!

Many thanks in advance!

wouldn't have thought it would be balancing as it is close to the boiler and would normally heat up first................maybe a faultly valve (TRV)....experts???

Check the pressure gauge on the boiler, the system may be low on water and require topping up. check for air in the radiator and then top up boiler to between 1and 1.5bar.

check the flow pipe beetween the pipe and the valve?- if its cold you got an airlock in the pipework, if the flow pipework is hot and the valve is hot(warmish) you got a faulty valve(most likely the pin on the TRV is sticking), loosen the pin or change the TRV.

Many thanks everyone.

The thermostatic valve is on the hot pipe...

Sorry, but what does it mean if the TRV is sticking? Is it easy for me to fix myself? Can I change the TRV myself or do I need a plumber?

Thank you!

Take off top, push pin in and relax. Then again and if it starts moving and warm water starts coming through, job's a goodun.

if the pin is stuck bang the valve firmly but not too hard to see if that frees it up

the little valve you refer to is the lock shield vavle, yes you can ajust it make sure it is fully open. That may sound a bit obvious ?

If the pin is stuck, tap it a few times to hopefully free it. NEVER try to pull it out or you may pull it out too far and get hot dirty water everywhere.

you will rarely hit a balancing problem with a combi boiler as it is under pressure

Many thanks everyone.

The thermostatic valve is on the hot pipe...

Sorry, but what does it mean if the TRV is sticking? Is it easy for me to fix myself? Can I change the TRV myself or do I need a plumber?

Thank you!

Just wanted to add, the pin is underneath the TRV head, to get this off there is a circle underneath, this is usually silver/ grey and needs to be turned anti clockwise.

Pants, a gravity sytem has nothing but gravity to rely on, air locks all the time, you never get air locks on a combi that young! my opionion only

Pants, a gravity sytem has nothing but gravity to rely on, air locks all the time, you never get air locks on a combi that young! my opionion only

hmmm once again have to beg to differ, this is my opinion maybe other people can elaberate more, but doesn't matter what sort of system, what age, what way it is piped, i.e. all systems prone to air locks and balancing problems.

ok, the rad has 2 valves, make sure they are both open. It sounds like you have 2 rads in the mix here so make sure the valves are fully open on both. If you have the thermo valves remove the top (clip off part) and make sure the pin pushes in and comes up on its own (tap with rubber mallet will usualy sort this if stuck). As per bolierman52 said, check system pressure (gauge on boiler and usualy a fill valve) should be @ 1.5-2 bar cold. bleed all the rads not just the ones upstairs as an airlock elsewhere could be the problem, then check pressure again, if not still the same, repeat.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Thanks, so i need another one?...otherwise the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back