Help - Smell in Ensuite Bathroom | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help - Smell in Ensuite Bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grateful for all advice. Our property is 12 years old. My wife is getting agitated about a strange smell in our en-suite bathroom near to our close fitted toilet bowl. There are no leaks. I have checked the traps on the bath, bidet, shower and wash-basin. They all seem fine. The soil pipe is internal with an AAV in the eaves. I haven't been up to check this as I am probably a bit too old for climbing into lofts. I have removed the drain cover and waste water is flowing. There are no strangle gurgles when the toilet is flushed or bath etc emptied.

The only work that has been carried out in the past few months is a replacement toilet bowl - the original one wasn't glazed properly and it became discoloured in use. I do not know whether the plumber used a new push in connector. I am clutching at straws here but is it possible for the connector to leak air but not leak water. I am thinking perhaps of a small leak/gap on the upper surface or the connector/soil pipe.

Anything else I should check?

The pan connectors do sometimes leak air and not water on the upper part. Can you get at it to put some duck tape round to see if that cures it?

Thanks. The front edge of the connector is covered by the sides of the pan. I am just going to have the plumber back to check it.

Smear some silicone around the gap between the rubber on the multiwick/pan connector and the edge of the pipe if you can get to it

when ever you change, remove and refit a toilet you need to change the pan connector as the rubber will be worn(stretched, out of shape). it is possible that may be your problem if the old one was used for the new toilet?

it would be better to replace it, but for a quick fix as you have no water leaks a small amount of sillicone around the gap between the pan and connector should do it, prob will have to use a finger. have some hand wipes and tissue ready.

Deff new multikwik. Don't faff around with the silicon. Temp fixes always become permanent.

Thanks to everyone. The forward face of the connector is just not accessible as it is protected by the toilet sides. I have e-mailed the plumber who did the fitting 6 months ago and asked him to check his work. I will post again with the outcome.

Update. The plumber came last week and he identified the problem as a leaking 32mm water supply pipe gasket where it is pushed into the back of the close fitting bowl. The plumber replaced the gasket and went away. Unfortunately, he hasn't fixed the problem as the floor under the toilet bowl is damp again. I have therefore wiped everything down and packed paper towel under the water supply pipe. The pipe/gasket is still leaking from one side. The paper is holding the slight leak and the smell has gone away as the floor/carpet have dried out.

The problem (as far as I can tell) is that the 32mm cistern water supply pipe is not exactly perpendicular to the back of the new toilet bowl. Dare I suggest to the plumber (as he is coming back again tomorrow) is that the easiest way to solve this problem is to cut the pipe and insert a flexible connector? Is there such a thing? I should add that the cistern overflow pipe is connected to this pipe with a plastic/glued 'T" junction.

I am getting the impression that the plumber was hoping for a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

So i sealed up the sink hole plus overflow...
Replies
Views
F
Thanks for your reply. I don't think so. I...
Replies
Views
Funkymunkey27
F
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
"I can’t get to the manhole cover – its been...
Replies
Views
Back