HELP! - WARM/HOT water coming from the COLD tap? | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss HELP! - WARM/HOT water coming from the COLD tap? in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

Hello:)

For no apparent reason the cold water has stop running from the Taps in the bathroom (both sink and bathtub) the loo won't refill either. The Cold tap in the kitchen sink is Fine with both pressure and cold temperature. The HOT water taps seem to be working fine from both Kitchen and Bathroom....

It seemed pretty weird how this problem happened, then I remember I turned all the radiators off and left 1 on about 3-4 days ago so I turned them all back ON...THEN the loo began to refill and when I tried the bathroom COLD tap....WARM/HOT water started running from them....???

I left them on for 15 minutes and now they have run dry again with nothing coming from the COLD taps in the Bathroom...

FINALLY - I have seperate hot & cold taps...And 30 minutes before the problem we had our annual service boiler inspection carried out by British gas!!

Thoughts anyone?:confused:

Very much appreciated.
Mark.

Yes... Very weird!

Check your cold water tank (in loft?) if your system has one. Could be that it is empty due to a seized ball valve on the supply into the tank. This would dry up all taps that are supplied from this tank.

If your hot water cylinder (if you have one!) is also supplied from this tank, the hot water too should dry up -- but it hasn't -- so as I say, weird! Maybe the hot water will stop running but only after a delay (as the pipework empties)?

But do check the cw tank/cistern!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its possible you have got yourself an air blockage.
If you have had the heating on and the cold pipes where not full due to the block then its possible that heat from your hot water pipes has been able to heat up some of the water in your cold pipe as the usual volume is depleted. Even worse if the cold pipe is above the hot (which it should not be) that would heat the cold even more. Just a possible !

Suggest you check start at the top of the system and work your way down i.e cold water cistern in loft is full, ball cock free and outlet not blocked by anything horrible if you an't got a byelaw 30 kit on it.
Hope you resolve it.

Cheers ears Spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
has a bathroom been fitted the reason i ask is with you saying no cold water only and HW is ok, there is no chance that somone could of tap into your CH thinking its CW by mistake especially with you saying it ran for 15 mins and then stop this is about the same time it would take for the heating system to drain down and how it didnt work until yu turn the radiators on and it would explain warm water coming from taps and then stopin until the system has refilled

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
IME Mira showers of that age are usually very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
Murdoch
M
  • Question
Many thanks Ben-Gee - thats a good idea! But...
Replies
Views
Back