Help with oil line please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Davehiscock
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1K

Discuss Help with oil line please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davehiscock

Hi all, need some help with a oil line.

The line is on a commercial building and needs replacing due to groundworkers digging it up!!

The old line is made from plastic, and is quite old, i was going to renew it coated soft copper and join on to the orginal line with compression due to it being plastic.

Now the groundworkers have buried a duct and pull cord for me to use,

does the buried duct need any notice tape saying there is a oil line buried near ?
do i need to use different olives in the compression fittings?
do i need to install any safety devices which may not be present because of old regs?
anything else that i should be aware of ?.

hope to hear from someone soon ......

I think this info is on the OFTEC website

www.oftec.org

1. Replace cord before you take the old one out! (Keeps everyone else happy!)
2. I think it needs a tape above it
3. Standard compression fittings with standard olives but you'll need an 10mm copper sleeve to keep up to regs. (Also helps make an oil tight joint easier.)
4. Fire valve as per rules.
5. I think you need to conduct an assessment of the oil tank and supply line (no leaks, proper support, far enough away from drains, etc, etc.)

Probably best to get an OFTEC technician in and ask if he can advise before you start then sign off work - if he'll do that!! Bit like asking a Gassafe person to do the same while laying a gas pipe. Most won't but you might find one that does.

thank you, the oil line will be layed in 15mm to prevent waxing up thus blocking the line, thats going to be fun to pull through a duct!!
is the warning tape a regulation? have aslo heard that certain olives should be used but unsure if copper or brass?? I think it has something to do with reacting with the oil? again unsure on this one....

Replace the line in whatever was in before. If it was 10mm, replace with 10mm If does not follow that larger bore is less likely to block - actually the reverse is the case as the flow rate is slower (oil does not move very fast like water in a pipe) so things settle out and you get problems with airlocks.

Compressions onto plastics should use copper olives provided the plastic is compatible with compression fittings. Don't forget pipe inserts too.

Warning tape is required above the duct.

Everything is in the OFTEC books

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.pipelife.co.uk/content/dam/pipelife...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
C
I havent met a new oil tank install which met...
Replies
Views
princegoose
P
B
Damn good chance of a leak using jubilees to...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
Back