Help with Toilet please... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with Toilet please... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boxst

I am going CRAZY!

There is a leak in the toilet probably because one of the washers has gone, but I can't take the cistern off.

It is a close-coupled toilet that has screws inside the cistern and the nut hidden away in the sealed unit. After removing the rust from the screws they just turn and turn. And using a endoscope camera I can see that the nut and screw are just turning and turning ...
There MUST be a knack to this? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

(unit looks like this:
COM-DELUXE-LARGE.jpg
)

Welcome to the forum Boxst, it must be driving you round the bend, if feeling flush buy a new one ;)

Thank you for the welcome. I'm good at this stuff .... but apparently not :)

So I have to take everything out just to take the cistern off? That is a stupid design :)

As above, the lot has to come out. These fancy-pants bathrooms may look pretty but a half hour job on a traditional suite ends up being a 4 hour job on the concealed back to wall stuff. Same as when the customer insists on having the bath taps along the wall on the long side of the bath (Day and a half to swap a pair of taps!)

Now you've removed rust and disturbed screws inside the cistern they will probably leak on re-tightening. And it could be a very gradual very hidden weep. So when pan and cistern are out, remove them, clean holes and replace assembly with new washers or who new bolt/screw/washer assembly.

Thank you for your help. Toilet pulled back and have removed the cistern, cleaned everything and more importantly can now shut off the water to stop more leakage. Stupid, stupid design.

I'm not going to put it back though. Time to call a plumber to do that and a couple of other things we've wanted to do for ages.

In Crowborough if anyone wants to quote ...

Thanks,

Steve

Toilet out im afraid,and as said before renew bolts and washers.Before you put it back in place pour some water in cistern to test for leaks,nothing worse than putting it back to find a leak and have to start again

Thank you for your help. Toilet pulled back and have removed the cistern, cleaned everything and more importantly can now shut off the water to stop more leakage. Stupid, stupid design.

I'm not going to put it back though. Time to call a plumber to do that and a couple of other things we've wanted to do for ages.

In Crowborough if anyone wants to quote ...

Thanks,

Steve

You might want to repost your request for a plumber here:

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer.[/DLMURL]

If the pan and cistern is taken out, the pan connector will also need replacing. If this leaks after both items is put back, then you will have a bigger problem than the original one.
Use Multikwik seals, if possible.
Mike
Plumbing Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Any ideas on the a decent flush to wall close...
Replies
Views
I would call it installer error. Maybe from...
Replies
Views
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
Never done one but that looks the obvious way...
Replies
Views
Back