Help with water pressure?! Toilet constantly filling up?! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with water pressure?! Toilet constantly filling up?! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

helpmeout

This morning when I left for work there was no running cold water, just a lot of noise from the taps like air. The hot water taps were running okay.

When I came in from work the cold water taps were running again but to a lower pressure.

When I tried the shower there was no water for about 5 minutes and then it started piddling out a tiny little bit.

Now my toilet cistern won't stop filling up with water, to the point where I have to flush it every few minutes. The only way to stop this is to leave a tap running.

I suspect one of the other flats in my building has had work done in the bathroom and maybe switched off the water at some point.

What do I do? Thanks!

Speak to land lord if your in a block

sounds like the valve which lets water into your toilet has failed and so in constantly filling the toilet (once filled oerflowing into the bowl or through a external overflow pipe) ... all your water and 'pressure' is going to the toiler hence why its not coming out of other taps!

Get the valve fixed and this should sort your problems!

sounds like you could be off storage water, and it was drained for whatever reason (hearing of water)
its possibly dirt/grit in your ballvalve stopping the water from fully closing, or a damaged diaphram?

the low pressure may possibly be an airlock & this is what makes me think ure off storage ? speak to landlord / property management and ask about works carried out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly 2 different issues.

Get the toilet ball float valve fixed/replaced ASAP. This is quite an easy job for any plumber, and then you can have a look at the shower issue.

A quick fix is to turn off the service valve to the toilet cistern when you go out for the day. (This is a chrome valve with a slot for a screwdriver) Thats assuming there is one fitted. At least that will save wasting water.

Then you can re assess your shower loss of pressure.

sounds like the valve which lets water into your toilet has failed and so in constantly filling the toilet (once filled oerflowing into the bowl or through a external overflow pipe) ... all your water and 'pressure' is going to the toiler hence why its not coming out of other taps!

Get the valve fixed and this should sort your problems!

a wc ballvalve slowly overfilling wont stop the flow to the sink taps, there are 2 problems here, one is that the cold supply to the taps is restricted by an airlock or dirt which needs to be rectified, the second is dirt in the oriface of the ballvalve stopping it closing properly so it is overflowing, both need to be rectified by a plumber (you could try if you have a hose or somethin) put it over the the hot and cold taps and turn then on, cold first, the hot water will run backwards up the cold pipe to the tank in the loft, do it for about a minute or so, then take the hose off and close the hot tap, the water will run back out the cold tap,, and be hot, you then might hear a gurgling and spluttering as the air lock comes back down followed by a full cold supply, the prob you have with trying this is that your cistern is overflowing so the hot might simply go into the cistern, if there is a valve under the cistern shut it off (this will also alleviate the need to constantly flush the loo, you just need to turn it on and off as the loo is used) if this fixes the prob you still need to get the loo fixed which might be a simple case of stripping the ballvalve inside the cistern and cleaning it out, but although not rocket science it can be tricky if never done it before, and if you break it the landlord will charge you for the repair

Thanks for the help lads.

I live in a Victorian house which is split into 7 flats. Some builders were doing up one of the flats yesterday and had switched off the water to that flat but the 7 taps for each flat are all mixed up so must've tried each one, and when turning mine back on didn't turn it fully.

Turned the tap on properly and everything has sorted itself out, pressure back for the cold water and shower. Toilet cistern now stops overflowing also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
Good, keep a note of his number!
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Back