High Flow rate pressure reducer valve | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss High Flow rate pressure reducer valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fin301

Hi,

I have my presure reducer valve in my kitchen set to 3.5 bar and from that I am geting a flow rate of around 12l per min. I have read on the internet that I should be getting a far higher flow rate from 3.5 bar of presure.

Can you let me know what you think? Do you think the presure reducer valve could be slowing the flow way down?

Can you get high flow presure reducer valves and if so what would you recoend for a 22mm mains inlet?

The valve I have just now is around 7 years old. Not sure if this is posible but it would be good to have less presure with a litte more flow.

Thanks for an advice given.

Does the existing valve have a filter or line strainer incorporated in the valve or is there another valve / fitting near by.
It could be as simple as a blocked filter.

The valve does have a small filter which I gave a clean. There are no other valves near it and the valve is before my outside tape and supplies the full house.

Do you know what the pressure and flow rate are before the PRV - If the pressure is less than 3.5 bar the PRV will have (virtually) no effect.

In your original post you said the PRV was set to 3.5 bar. Is it adjustable? If so, try increasing the pressure it allows through and see if the flow rate changes. If there is no change then either the valve is faulty or your mains pressure is below 3.5 bar.

Do you know what the pressure and flow rate are before the PRV - If the pressure is less than 3.5 bar the PRV will have (virtually) no effect.

In your original post you said the PRV was set to 3.5 bar. Is it adjustable? If so, try increasing the pressure it allows through and see if the flow rate changes. If there is no change then either the valve is faulty or your mains pressure is below 3.5 bar.

The valve is adjustable and I can adjust the pressure up to a max of 4 bar on the valve gadge. I take it this would mean I am getting 4 bar before the valve. The flow rate does increase if I adjust the valve to 4 bar.

i didn't really want to run the house at 4 bar as not sure if everything in the house can take it. I am not sure what the flow rate is before the valve. I was hoping that there were valves out there that would hold the pressure at 3 bar but let a better flow rate than 14l per min through.

thanks for the replies so far

If the pressure reducing valve is part of an unvented hot water system then you need to stop and get a G3 registered plumber in.

You can adjust your PRV to whatever , if it's coming through a small bore or kinked pipe It won't make much difference.
High pressure does nt necessary mean high flow

Pressure and flow are totally separate things. Just because the pressure is good doesn't mean the flow will be.

Yeah I know flow and pressure are different things. I was just wondering if it may be worth trying to upgrade the valve for a high flow one to see if that helped.

The house has a Boilermate A class Vented system

Okay fin301, just checking mate.

Sometimes the spring in the PRV gives out and restricts the flow right down, if it's within your capabilities isolate the main, remove the PRV and connect a hose or rigid pipe to prove your main is working correctly.

Okay fin301, just checking mate.

Sometimes the spring in the PRV gives out and restricts the flow right down, if it's within your capabilities isolate the main, remove the PRV and connect a hose or rigid pipe to prove your main is working correctly.
Thanks I will try that out to see how the flow is before the PRV. If the PRV does show to have a fault can you recommend a PRV that's best for flow rate? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How high is the hill 40m as that will add 4...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back