high recovery water heater | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss high recovery water heater in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Have a job to do in a few weeks time which involves re jigging a cookery classroom . At present their is a gas fired water heater (vented) and if i recall about 180 litres feeding 16 sinks in two seperate classrooms.This currently is inadequate as the hot water constantly runs out and heat recovery is not quick enough .
Now they are adding an extra 8 sinks so more hot water draw offs making a total of 24 which will make it 12 hot water draw offs in each class.

I am considering dividing each classrooms supply but need something with a rapid hot water recovery , or if i decide to just alter what currently is in situ with a larger unit then again want an idea of something mains fed with quick recovery

Is it going to be a secondry return setup for the hot draw-offs?

I would make up two systems that's a lot of taps on one water heater, if you use one system that will be a pretty long secondary run with two branches that will need balancing. You don't say if the water supply is mains or tank fed, whichever it it I would look at fitting water restrictors into the taps that will give you a better chance, some old sink tap have big holes in them, even 12 sinks is still a lot of water and there will be little in the way of diversity, as the classes end they will all wash up at the same time. If you speak to Andrews or AOC Smith or Hamworthy they have typical loads on taps against gas rating for their water heaters, this is what I do for a job, HVAC design even though I am nearly 70.

Good luck

BTW don't forget an expansion vessel for each heater, also watch the water temperature with children will they need a mixing valve,this will help you with your demand, part hot part cold you can raise the hot water storage temp a little if you are mixing it

[DLMURL]http://www.andrewswaterheaters.co.uk/documents/Sizing_Guide_Oct08.pdf[/DLMURL]

Try this for size:furious3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rinnai x 2 instantaneous which can have secondary returns also, being a school they will have to comply with legionella regs, being no stored water this is not a problem, they also have a burn program that raises water temps prior to the mixing valves to to further guard against pipework water volumes..

They wont run out of water, pay as you go!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
A joule direct unvented cylinder would be my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Is that a rule for new installations or due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Z
  • Question
fitting a cylinder jacket or two and some pipe...
Replies
Views
Back