Hitachi combi | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hitachi combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the 4Ah version a while back. Great bit of kit. Plenty tourqe and battery power.

Not in the know about hitatchi im afraid but i can say that ive never heard any bad reports . They have a smart little radio out aswell.

Gave it a good work out today on a bathroom install. The torque is unreal. It would send screws straight through the timber if u let it. Hammer is impressive too

I had the 4Ah version. made up with it to start with but at 2 1/2 years old all the smoke came out of the back and it stopped working. 4Ah Milwaukee is lighter and more powerful.

4Ah Milwaukee is lighter and more powerful.

Have you compared the 4AH Milwaukee against the 5AH Hitachi?

According to their respective websites, the Hitachi has quite a bit more torque. But those figures will be in lab conditions - I'm interested in real-life experiences...

Have you compared the 4AH Milwaukee against the 5AH Hitachi?

According to their respective websites, the Hitachi has quite a bit more torque. But those figures will be in lab conditions - I'm interested in real-life experiences...

Millwaukee FUEL is brushless so the motor should last considerably longer.

A 4ah with a brushless motor should do more work than a 5ah brushed tbh. At the end of the day it comes down to build quality and price, the milwaukee costs a lot more and is maybe better built. I've always like hitachi tools, not convinced there batteries have the best lifespan/cells? But if I was on a budget I'd think the hitachi a very good buy.

I've had the combo set for about 4 months. Managed to just burn out the drill on a 4" hole in a vertical stud. It's getting picked up for a warranty repair but will see if they just repair it or try and charge me for 'overworking' it. (it was £300 for both with 2 batteries!)

The drill itself has performed brilliantly before breaking. Whilst the batteries last forever the charging time is a joke. Hitachi say its a 75 minute charge however they can take as long as 100 minutes. (I think new Makita 5ah is 55 minutes?). The impact driver works great and is as good as my previous Makita, although it doesn't feel quite as good quality (may just be my personal preference)

Also the radio is great apart from the old style metal expendable antenna. It has a usb charger and audio input. Only downside for some is it doesn't have digital (in my area that's a bonus).

Yeah...charge times are like mpg figures for car manufacturers.

A brushless motor besides being more efficient (less friction & moving parts) requires fairly sophisticated electronics to manage the motor properly and can therefore adjust to the task whereas a brushed motor will always run as fast as it can while in use. As I see it, to compete without making the investment in brushless technology (which is considerable) Hitachi have done the most convenient thing by upping the amp rating of their batteries which will give improved run time. If they've changed little else about the drill I imagine you'll get more cases of motor burnout especially when used at capacity and beyond under heavy load. If you have one of these I'm sure it'll eat up most tasks but under serious and sustained loading I'd take extra care if it's running hot and you want it to last, it's very well priced but there is usually a reason for that.

Last edited:
You will burn out any drill brushed,brushless, whatever if you over work it. As a rule if it's getting hot then it needs a rest or a bigger drill. The down side to the current faze of trying to make every drill smaller means compromise's IMO, normally less life.

Charge times may be long but the battery will not run out while you are waiting. Would always get corded sds out if i had loads of masonry drilling to do. But for my use its brilliant.

My two are 4 years old and one is having a bit of trouble now. Bit of copper grease and it's off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You can buy 4Ah replica batteries for less...
Replies
Views
About 4 volts. :) read ad the spec, the 18v...
Replies
Views
M
28V for me. Broke my high heels getting them...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
I agree with you Cailean, the 102 would be...
Replies
Views
S
Good question that scott,i thought I couldn't...
Replies
Views
sheff paul
S
Back