Hole in copper pipe, solder under floor, T coupling & protection | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hole in copper pipe, solder under floor, T coupling & protection in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several questions:
  • I was thinking to solder, but not sure if I should be brazing or is soldering enough for peace of mind (I'm in France, but I guess nobody will open up the floors for inspection, so for me allowed by code in UK/US is good enough).
  • I know I should use a sleeve, but not sure how to secure it properly because if I put it on before I solder it'll melt. The alternative is to use some kind of tape. I guess Denso tape is good for that? If so, any special way of securing it to the edges of the sleeve from both sides of the exposed pipe?
  • I made a small cut in a sleeve around another pipe running close by (no damage to the pipe). Can I use regular silicone to seal that hole to avoid direct contact of the pipe with the surrounding concrete?
  • I was thinking to use the opportunity to solder an extension from the pipe using a T coupling under the floor to connect a water line to the new toilet. What do you think about copper T couplings inside concrete? How can I protect the area around the coupling with a sleeve? Are there T-shaped sleeve connectors or something similar?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I really appreciate the comments and advice...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Thank you. Good to hear this from someone who...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
  • Question
Thanks for this. The plumber is gas safe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Let us know what caused the leak. Always good...
Replies
Views
  • Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
Back