Home alone with boiler that wont work! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Home alone with boiler that wont work! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bustedboiler

Hi I am just a single house wife with poorly baby at home with a boiler that just will not work.
In fact when installed 4 yrs ago it worked properly for about 6 months,all downhill from there.
This Boiler Ferolli F24 has worked on and off for 4 yrs and more off than on.last year with very cold weather it was terrible!

We got an approved engineer in £456 later worked a week then off again, could not afford another go at fixing boiler, saved up again took a year all we needed was a fan,brilliant it worked for 4 months.
Then we had a power cut off it went again,new plumber in, new pump and pcb boarb fitted bang it went again the minute the fan kicked in,so we had to have another pcb board he came fitted it, when fan started up bang it went again,I have no more cash plumber gone and I can't afford another board.
To all those decent plumbers I am sorry if your offended but I don't trust them any more!
Now I have no hot water or heat and a very poorly baby of 1yr old grandson i care for!!
The plumbers all had the proper credentials and now i can't locate them(they vanished)

You cant judge everybody by the experiance you have had, its not fair.

Just call one of the bigboys and pay a one off payment to get it fixed.

I did it was a very big company,they then wanted another £175 plus parts,but thanks for that!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, who was the big company you used??
Don't work with gas myself so can't really comment on the work they carried out.
What part of county you in? maybe someone local could possibly help you out???

I used homeserve the last time,that was a terrible service,took them 10 days to turn up,cost me £171.00 to join as a member,they replaced fan,when i called again because it was the boiler,they wanted another £171 plus parts so far my boilers in bits,no heat or hot water, i have had 1 fan,2 pcb boards both blown and a new pump! thanks for comment though

if the pcb is instantly blowing you have a full short or reversed polarity somewhere, and halfwits working on the boiler by the sounds of it they cant even carry out the most basic of checks

The boiler man fitted the first PCB and it instantly blew,then he found water in the pump so we needed another board and a new pump,when they arrived after I ordered them he fitted the new pump and the pcb, and when he switched the boiler on, the fan started immediately and on start blew the second board! I have very poorly baby 1yr old in house and the boiler is in bits and i mean parts everywhere,no heat or hot water the engineer has vanished and mobile dead.
he was carrying a proper badge ect but it had run out,i did query it he said he had just received a new corgi authorised card,then when he vanished I found it is has changed name and i do not think he is registered at all now.

If he was still carrying a Corgi card, he is a lot out of date, We have been "Gas Safe" for a while now. All cards carry a registration number and if you enter them at the Gas Safe website it will tell you who he is and what he is authorized to do.

Im afraid it sounds like you have been had by a cowboy (especially if the boiler has been left stripped?). The only thing to do is go to the Gas safe website and search for an Engineer in your area.

How did you find him in the first place?

Last edited:
He came recommended by a rather large agency, i found out afterwards its now gas safe, this situation has been going on since nov last year, finally thought fixed march then 8 weeks ago this happened.
There have been 3 useless engineers two did have proper credentials,confidence is not instilled when remarks like"i have never worked on a ferolli" ect.

They all 3 came highly recommended 1 by a very large organisation and cost a fortune,thanks for your comments!

Two that came did have Gas safe cards they where terrible the third had an out of date corgi card, but all 3 came highly recommended by a very large company!!
I give up in despair,and when they say things like"oh i am not familiar with this boiler" and stand there scratching there heads its not a very encouraging sight is it? ty for your info i do appreciate it.

The boiler man fitted the first PCB and it instantly blew,then he found water in the pump so we needed another board and a new pump,when they arrived after I ordered them he fitted the new pump and the pcb, and when he switched the boiler on, the fan started immediately and on start blew the second board! I have very poorly baby 1yr old in house and the boiler is in bits and i mean parts everywhere,no heat or hot water the engineer has vanished and mobile dead.
he was carrying a proper badge ect but it had run out,i did query it he said he had just received a new corgi authorised card,then when he vanished I found it is has changed name and i do not think he is registered at all now.

I think you need to save up for a better boiler man. Might not be as expensive as the numps!

Ferrolli's aren't particularly common IMO. If it's blowing the PCB then I wouldn't have thought it would be the pump of fan. Although a faulty or seized fan can cause fuses to blow. Tbh, not sure exactly where I would start with that kind of problem, difficult to diagnose when the thing blows boards!

Ring ferrolli or bg they will fix it for a fixed amount you do not have to get your gas off BG to use them if its blowing boards let the manufacture or BG pay for them

pay a one of payment to BG for the repair, and then save up for a better boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Back