Hot and Cold Pipe Repair - Good or Bad? | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot and Cold Pipe Repair - Good or Bad? in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

So had a water leak in the pipes above the ceiling in the hallway and below the floor in the landing.
Called home insurance who sent home emergency team which is run by Homeserve.
They put a hole in the ceiling and found the leak, but the pipes were so high up close to the floor above we had to take up the wood flooring on the landing so they could cut a hole in the landing floor.
Leak was caused because the hot and cold pipes were rubbing on top of the central heating pipes as they were right under the floor boards.
Now the Homeserve plumber has decided to create a U type shape on the pipes to go below the central heating pipes and it looks like this -

upload_2018-11-5_16-8-42.jpeg

The compression corner or the right hand side hot dripped a bit so they came back out, fixed it and then the left hand side hot pipe compression corner started to drip. He tightened it a bit and then went as it had stopped.
Now then next day i noticed a small pin head drip coming from the left hand side hot pipe (red tape) compression corner joint. Wiped it away then today seen another small pin head drip coming from it.
I assume this is bad and still needs fixing (plumber coming back out this aft).
Does this job look ok? are the plastic corners ok?
The pipes run in the ceiling where the solid wall stops as the landing is above so want this not to leak again as the ceiling hole will need repiaring and reskimming and the floor above will have to have the wood florring refitted.

Just a bit concerned.

Yep awaiting there return this aft some time.

Does the U bend of the pipes with those connectors look like the right things for the job? i.e. would you professionals of done this sort of thing?

Thanks again

Bargin :)

It took about 5 mins for the pipes to empty out, turn the mains tap off, open the taps and the pipes were empty as the plumber was then able to cut the bit of copper pipe section out to make that contraption.
Then refilled in a few mins.
Its just the hot and cold pipes that feed the taps etc.

How much you reckon it would cost to rectify this so its proper soldered with less joints?

Depends what you consider a 'proper' repair. Ideally, I would want to replace the the entire length of damaged pipe back to existing joints with a nicely bent jumper under the CH pipe. I'd also take a critical look at the CH pipes in the areas because copper-on-copper friction often damages both parties to the action. Say three or four hours, mostly spent exposing the work and making good after.

Nothing that would interest top quality plumbers like you H.

TapMedic is just a little British invention that:
  • saves customers time & money whilst
  • making plumbers time and money (at the expense of tap manufacturers) but
  • is also incredibly green & safe too
As I said, nothing to see HERE :)
Honestly mate. You should be paying me for this:D:D:D

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There were two 'classes' of alkathene black...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I really appreciate the comments and advice...
Replies
Views
  • Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Back