Hot tap(s) violent juddering fully open (small water heater) | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot tap(s) violent juddering fully open (small water heater) in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

R

RoyalCrabs

Hey,

Never had to work with what I think may be an air lock before , heres the back story ;

Local village shop owner said a hot tap in shops upstairs bathroom was left on slightly over night (1 of 3 appliances fitted to a water heater) and from that morning on wards the 2 KITCHEN hot taps in another room 'judder' violently when fully or half / full open.
If you open them both fully or one of them 1/4 open its fine, telling me something to do with pressure?

Heater ; Ariston Unvented Water heater with a pressure reducing valve fitted.

I dont plan on messing around with the heater itself, but if needs be do some corrective pipework or clean filters if need be.. Mainly just get an opinion from more experienced kind chaps like yourselves!

Cheers

Needs a tap that has a built in pressure discharge
Specific for the purpose.
Or check the water heater mi's for pressure relief arrangement.

Essentially whst is happening is as the water heats up there is expansion which needs venting somehow as the pressure increase is causing problems

Last edited by a moderator:
No sorry its not a full unvented cylinder, I its just a small waterheater (does have exp. vessel & tundish though) that just feeds only 3 hot taps and this violent 'juddering' when fully opened on any of the 3 taps opened individually, started after one tap was left open over night.
Again ; APPARENTLY, this is what the customer says, I cannot back it up as 100% fact as the 'cause' of this juddery tap situation..

download the mi's then and read up on pressure relief discharge. you dont need g3 to do the work on 15l capacity or less.

or look at a special vent tap which purposely dribbles every so often to release the expansion

download the mi's then and read up on pressure relief discharge. you dont need g3 to do the work on 15l capacity or less.

or look at a special vent tap which purposely dribbles every so often to release the expansion

When you say MI, do you mean manufac. instructions?
Do you reckon it built up pressure from being left on over night or caused air to get into system? Like I say it only judders when one tap is fully open (any one tap), thanks

When you say MI, do you mean manufac. instructions?
Do you reckon it built up pressure from being left on over night or caused air to get into system? Like I say it only judders when one tap is fully open (any one tap), thanks
Yes manu instructions.
It may be that it is only deaigned for one tap. StRting point is to get the mi's snd check the installation against them.

Yeah I had the instructions and said nothing about violent juddering noise when hot tap is fully opened.

I had another look and forgot to take notice of a double check valve on each hot tap in the kitchen, it really does sound like its those making this pneumatic drill kinda sound. However, I un seized the basin tap (3rd appliance fed from the water heater) and when fully open it makes no noise what so ever..

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could be the washer in the tap itself.
Replies
Views
They can stick quite easily, try a spray with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
@John.g @ShaunCorbs For the benefit of all...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes I totally agree. I'm convinced this has...
2 3
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
Back