Hot water being back flowing into Cold water tank | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water being back flowing into Cold water tank in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Any advice would be extremely appreciated. I have an indirect heating system. A few days ago the large cold water tank overflow started to leak. Given that I had the ball-cock replaced 6 months ago I kinda knew it was not the problem - it was not.

When the water is being heated on its own it is raising the water level in the large cold water tank up to a point where it overflows down the pipe at the roof eves.

This happens over a period of a 90 mins (water is only heated for 20 mins). Having looked in the tank I can see that water is being backfilling the large cold water tank not via the open vent pipe but the pipe at the bottom of the tank where the cold water should flow to the Cylinder.

When the hot water is off (not heating water) the large cold water tank level remains as it should.

Any ideas why this is happening???? I have had no new taps or mixers installed and this has only happened (as far as I know) in the past few days

Sorry previous answer assumed unvented system not vented.

Has the vent pipe been blocked perhaps?

By the 'large cold water tank' are you referring to the central heating expansion tank, which will probably be full of rusty water, or the main cold water tank, which will partially empty when you run a bath?

C.

Last edited:
Yes but never have it on

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Sorry wasn't reading thread properly . If hot water is coming back up through the cold feed. It most likely is your cylinder, especially if the water level of your f&E tank is lower than your cold water storage tank.

so, f+e tank has more head pressure, so heating water is able so act against the hot water system head pressure, this will fill your cylinder via the faulty coil, this then travels back up the feed pipe and back in to your cold water storage tank. shine a torch thru the water at the bottom feed pipe, you will see the hot water if that makes sense

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
Murdoch
M
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There are float switches instead of mechanical...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Back