Hot Water Cylinder Leaking | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot Water Cylinder Leaking in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

P

Paulo663

After some advice please. Just installed a new indirect vented copper cylinder and I've got a small weep from the cold water in Male iron 22mm x 1. I use plumbers tape wrapping the threads approximately 10 times.
I've just ordered a 1inch fibre washer, will the washer help and should I apply a larger number of plumbers tape.
Thanks I advance Paul

21 raps of ptfe for me. And a smear of paste on the olive. (Balls to the paste haters!)

Fernox LSX is also great for this. Jut put a bit on a thread before screwing in.

PS: With old rusty iron pipes/threads jointing hemp + (LSX or paint) worked better than PTFE tape.
PPS: On a threaded joints used for high hot water pressure systems one can use hemp + metal oxide primer or oil based paint.
If strugling with old threaded hemp/paint set diss assembly - apply a bit of heat by the blowtorch to soften the paint.

Fernox LSX is also great for this. Jut put a bit on a thread before screwing in.

PS: With old rusty iron pipes/threads jointing hemp + (LSX or paint) worked better than PTFE tape.
PPS: On a threaded joints used for high hot water pressure systems one can use hemp + metal oxide primer or oil based paint.
If strugling with old threaded hemp/paint set diss assembly - apply a bit of heat by the blowtorch to soften the paint.

lsx is the devils work!

A male straight should have been capable of tightening fully into the cylinder joint & therefore tightening against the flanges - so it should not have leaked!
You obviously must have used too little tape. Don't just think of the number of turns of tape required as what also is important is if the fitting feels nice & tight when going in at least the last two turns. If it is not having much resistance then it hasn't a well packed thread seal & might leak.
i tend to taper the tape, that is, I put 2 or 3 extra narrow turns of tape at the shoulder side of the fitting to guarantee it tightens up. Ptfe tape is superb & superior to hemp, which is from the past & frankly shouldn't be used on many things.
Always use paste, - Jet Lube is good & it gives a fine seal & lubricates the joint aiding more tape into it sometimes also.

And I should add, - I still very occasionally tighten a male fitting up & realise it is far too slack & remove it & redo the tape & tighten up again. My concern is I obviously don't want to overdo the tape which would mean it will push back off the fitting as I tighten it & risk splitting the threads on the cylinder or whatever. I never have any weeps.
Threads vary, believe it or not - male & female & some things require different amounts of tape.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice chaps. Redrained tank yesterday and used Fernox LSX on the male irons. Tape seemed a bit of a gamble for a DIY chap as not enough will give a leak and to much could split the tank threads as advised.
Tank only needed replacing as whoever installed must've flush the system.
Replaced the electrical socket fronts last year finding the radiator mounting bracket bolt from the next room sticking through the plastic pattern box and hard up against the old socket front back.
These new builds are just thrown together - 8 years and needed a new tank !.

Last edited by a moderator:
lame plumber, still not leaking !.

Give it time sunshine

Experience V DIY'er.

Hot water can do amazing things to pipe joints - expanding and contracting continuously.

If you haven't used tape then you may be up for a joint that will be a problem in the future.
Good luck with it anyway.

Hope you don't or won't require insurance cover for this in the future.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
Back