Hot water expansion pipe | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water expansion pipe in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peep

Hi all,
Happy New Year to everyone.
I wonder if someone could advise me, please?

I have just had a new bathroom fitted, and my airing cupboard moved. The installation was done by a Gas Safe engineer and the plumber was apparently CIPHE registered.

Since the installation, the hot water has been very slow (it is a new feed 22mm from the hot water cylinder then 15mm to the taps). The plumber says that it is simply down to the pressure, but being a complete novice, I don't quite believe him. If the water ran faster previously and he put all new pipework in, why would it be so much slower?

I have looked at the expansion pipe coming from the hot water cylinder (again a new 22mm copper pipe). Where it goes to the cold water tank in the loft, the end is below water level. That doesn't seem right to me.

Can anybody offer any advice, before I get the plumber back?

Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone.

I wonder if someone can help me, please? I have recently had a new bathroom installed, and an airing cupboard moved. The plumber said that he put all new copper pipework in (22mm running into 15mm at the taps etc.), which replaced the polypipe.

Since he did the work, the hot water to the sink and bath is dreadfully slow. The plumber says that it is as good as it can be, but it is an awful lot slower than before. Even with the bath fill connected to a Salamander shower pump (about 1 bar, I think), it takes an age to fill the bath.

I notice that the vent pipe from the hot water cylinder (new 22mm copper) which runs to the cold water tank in the loft, is below the water level in the tank. That doesn't seem right to me. Should I just cut it off above the water level?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by a moderator:
:iagree:

I also wouldn't mind betting that your new taps are not compatible with a low pressure system. Some bath mixers require .8 bar just to get a reasonable trickle of water out of them.

Try removing the restrictors from the end of the tap spout and see what flow rate you get then.

Wouldn't you expect the plumber to tell you that? I got everything from the Bathstore, and he was recommended

I would also say specially to the bath tap 22mm should be used all the way on that kind of system. You would think just put back exactly how it was before.

Paulus has a very good point also

The difference is most likely caused by the new taps. Mixers? Are not great with low pressure/gravity hot water supply's due to the way they are made and fitted. Who's at fault? Who brought the taps? Your plumber should have voiced and concerns if he had any I guess.

The he vent needs to be out the water level. You could look at removing the ISO valves on the hot side or fitting full bore, maybe even changing the tails to the taps. Show use some pictures of the taps and there pipe work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
They were quite accurate IMO and might look...
Replies
Views
Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
Back