Hot water feed from cylinder | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water feed from cylinder in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

H

Hellfire

I've been advised that there is a minimum horizontal length, that the hot water feed from the cylinder needs to be before tee-ing into the vent/expansion pipe. Can anyone advise what this minimum length is?

I've fitted a Salamander flange to the HW cylinder and need to re-plumb the hot water take off pipe. I'd like to take the shortest/easiest route directly to the vent/expansion pipe but am concerned this may cause problems if it's shorter than the recommended length.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If I take the most direct route, the horizontal length would be about 300mm, about 2/3rds of the recommended length. What problems would it likely cause if it were too short? Does anyone know why it is recommended at 450mm?

Upvote 0
Hi. Parasitic circulation ( the ability of hot water to set up circulation currents in a single pipe) resulting in heat loss of the stored hot water. The 450/470 mm horizontal length provides sufficient friction to stop this gravity circulation. But please consider, with a 36" x 18" cylinder and a cupboard with just enough room to fit, how did the rest of the country comply, they did not all put a 90 degree bend in to achieve the criteria. Good Luck

Upvote 0
450mm mate![/quote]
i am officially religated to the second best plumber on the forum.
thanks alot mate.
watch your back , i will be back on top again.:confused::confused:[450mm not 475m]:confused::confused:
surley the 450 is a maximum length of straight pipe its the bend in the pipe that stops the parasitic circulation its not realy much of a problem with temperature controlled hot water it realy harks back to the days of coal fired back boilers and cold houses
cooling at the edge of the pipes caused a ciculation in the vent pipe

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you ! How about a 15mm to 1/2 coupler as...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
  • Question
When speedfit came out they one made that type...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
Back