Hot water only works when more than one hot tap turned on | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water only works when more than one hot tap turned on in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Completely baffled by this problem and hoping someone out there can shed some light. Moved into a new home 8 weeks ago, had boiler checked and everything seemed fine. As of yesterday we suddenly found we had no hot water. We have now discovered that we can still get instant hot water but only if a second source is activated. To give an example, switch the shower on and the water will run cold for days but also switch the hot tap on the sink on and both sources have instant hit water. This isn't an issue upstairs as there are a number of hot water taps in close proximity but having to run upstairs to turn a tap on so that we can get hot water from the kitchen taps is driving us crazy. The hot water light on the boiler will only switch on when a second source is activated no matter what we try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So have I got this right?
Moved in 8 weeks back and all ok
Had boiler "checked" and all working ok
Then, yesterday you have this problem
So
What made you have boiler checked, was there any reason and when?

The more you say the easier it is for the guys & gals to help.

So have I got this right?
Moved in 8 weeks back and all ok
Had boiler "checked" and all working ok
Then, yesterday you have this problem
So
What made you have boiler checked, was there any reason and when?

The more you say the easier it is for the guys & gals to help.

Friend is gas safe registered and looked over boiler and everything else in the house just as a favour as we wanted to know if we should replace it for efficiency . There were no issues before or after this. He is currently away for almost 3 weeks and don't want to bother him on holiday if I can help it. It's a baxi combi boiler. He worked out it was about 17 years old but he also spoke to baxi and they still supply part etc. and all was working fine so he advised not to prioritise switch out (We have a lot of work to do in the house). On that note, an electrician was working in the house the day the problem startered if that may be of relevance. Check took place when we moved in around 8 weeks ago. System has been perfect until now with hot water being almost instant. Let me know if There is Any other info I could provide.

Friend is gas safe registered and looked over boiler and everything else in the house just as a favour as we wanted to know if we should replace it for efficiency . There were no issues before or after this. He is currently away for almost 3 weeks and don't want to bother him on holiday if I can help it. It's a baxi combi boiler. He worked out it was about 17 years old but he also spoke to baxi and they still supply part etc. and all was working fine so he advised not to prioritise switch out (We have a lot of work to do in the house). On that note, an electrician was working in the house the day the problem startered if that may be of relevance. Check took place when we moved in around 8 weeks ago. System has been perfect until now with hot water being almost instant. Let me know if There is Any other info I could provide.
Sounds like a fault with an internal component which will need a gas safe engineer to diagnose and repair.

Sounds like a fault with an internal component which will need a gas safe engineer to diagnose and repair.
Thanks. Just thought I'd best check to see if it was something obvious first. Will get someone to take a look then. Had a new boiler on a maybe list so might just bite be bullet now. Appreciate all of the replies guys. Especially on a Friday night. Thank you.

Thanks. Just thought I'd best check to see if it was something obvious first. Will get someone to take a look then. Had a new boiler on a maybe list so might just bite be bullet now. Appreciate all of the replies guys. Especially on a Friday night. Thank you.
If it's what I'm thinking of then it should be a relatively simple fix. It's not a fault I'd recommend changing the boiler over but that of course is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately due to forum rules, I'm not allowed to say. 1. to prevent you from attempting a repair yourself and 2. To prevent others reading this with a similar issue from also attempting a repair themselves.
Apologies if this is anally question but doesn't that rule kind of render this forum useless? If nobody is allowed to suggest what the answer to a problem might be for fear that they might try to fix it themselves then surely anybody that is not qualified should not be allowed on the forum as the answer to any question would always be the same. Ie get a qualified gas fitter to look at it.

Apologies if this is anally question but doesn't that rule kind of render this forum useless? If nobody is allowed to suggest what the answer to a problem might be for fear that they might try to fix it themselves then surely anybody that is not qualified should not be allowed on the forum as the answer to any question would always be the same. Ie get a qualified gas fitter to look at it.
That should say a silly question

Not at all. Anybody is welcome to join and ask their question however when it comes to questions involving gas then there are rules. These rules are in place to stop and protect people from attemping their own repair which is actually illegal in law. Sorry but that is the way it is.

The rule only applies to offering advice to gas related questions. This forum covers all aspects of plumbing.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
Check it has sufficient water pressure first.
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Thanks for the suggestions, I've attached a...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all Hope you can help We have a Gloworm...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
That definitely sounds like an airlock on the...
Replies
Views
Back