Hot water out of cold taps then it clears! New pump?!?! Help! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water out of cold taps then it clears! New pump?!?! Help! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi there,
If anyone could help me on here with some good advice I'd really appreciate it. The system if got In my flat is a direct (electric element) cylinder and a water storage tank above it all in the hallway cupboard. The hot and cold outlets go into a Stuart turner negative head 1.5 bar twin pump. This provided our hot and cold water for the whole house except the cold tap in the kitchen sink.
The problem I have is that my cold water taps (pumped) always run hot for a few seconds then go cold. I checked to see if the thermostats had gone on the elements causing the water to overheat and fill the cold water storage tank with warm water. This isn't happening. I then phoned Stuart turner pumps technical dept and they said that it's a 19 year old pump, the hot water is crossing over at the expansion vessel and that I need a new one! (£475!!!!!).
Is there any other reason this could be happening??? There are some non return compression valves on the pipework after the pump. Could they have gone or do I need to face facts and buy a new pump??? It looks easy to put in. Just connect power and everything else is push fit.........
Any advice welcome!!!!

Sounds to me as if the thermostat in your combination cylinder has failed an as a result hot water being released into the cold cistern but as you have ruled that out perhaps the hot and cold feed are too close together and heat is being transferd onto the cold feed pipe. This could be happening anywhere were your two feed pipes are close including any flexi tap connectors. Hope this helps.

I have been to change some taps today, drained cylinder off but when I finished and filled up there was hot coming out the cold tap! It's a old glow worm space saver with cylinder upstairs with tank above.

Hi there,
If anyone could help me on here with some good advice I'd really appreciate it. The system if got In my flat is a direct (electric element) cylinder and a water storage tank above it all in the hallway cupboard. The hot and cold outlets go into a Stuart turner negative head 1.5 bar twin pump. This provided our hot and cold water for the whole house except the cold tap in the kitchen sink.
The problem I have is that my cold water taps (pumped) always run hot for a few seconds then go cold. I checked to see if the thermostats had gone on the elements causing the water to overheat and fill the cold water storage tank with warm water. This isn't happening. I then phoned Stuart turner pumps technical dept and they said that it's a 19 year old pump, the hot water is crossing over at the expansion vessel and that I need a new one! (£475!!!!!).
Is there any other reason this could be happening??? There are some non return compression valves on the pipework after the pump. Could they have gone or do I need to face facts and buy a new pump??? It looks easy to put in. Just connect power and everything else is push fit.........
Any advice welcome!!!!
Sounds about right to me !! Can't be thermostats as water would be hot all the time. Hot & cold pipework together well may be but it would be warn not hot. Did you ask S/T if they still did service kits for your pump if so might be worth it but I doubt it if you add in the labour cost.
At the end of the day 19 years life for a pump that works every time you use water in the flat 365 day of year is not bad for £475.00 is it !!!! They aren't half bad them Staurt Turners, you would be lucky to get a quarter of that with some makes !!!!!!

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
IME Mira showers of that age are usually very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
take iso valves off and fit 1/2 inch x 22mm...
Replies
Views
V
  • Question
It would help to know what type of system you...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back