Hot water pressure issue, boiler shutting off when mixing cold water in | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water pressure issue, boiler shutting off when mixing cold water in in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HJames

Hi all,

I am at a complete loss. I have lived in my flat for 2 years, it is on the third floor of a 4 floor block containing a total of 13 flats and my water pressure has always been low, since day 1 of moving in i have not been able to have a shower without the hot water cutting out and going cold.

After many different investigations, plumbers have concurred that when the cold is mixed, the hot water going through the boiler is too low and the sensor turns off causing the water to go cold. Whilst in the shower i have to turn the cold tap off again for the boiler to reignite, then the water is too hot so i mix in the cold and it all happens again. This also happens on the kitchen mixer tap. (I have a heatline combi boiler)

Is there ANYTHING i can do to fix this problem without fixing the pressure issue itself? All valves are wide open, non return valves have been added to the boiler feeds and i've had my shower replaced.

I am fed by a water feed from the mains, as far as i am aware there are no water tanks in the building. One other flat on my level is having this problem, but as we are the only ones that own flats in the building, we have not yet checked with people that rent off the freeholder. I know for a fact my freeholder is a nightmare to get hold of, let alone asking him to do anything, so i am trying to find a solution without him.

I have also had thames water round who have said they are supplying what is required of them at street level.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, i'm at my wits end. Thank you.

is the cold water poor full stop?do you have a combi?if so may be feasible to fit a booster pump

hi gas man, yes the cold isn't great, but it is better than the hot. Yes it is a combi (heatline), where would the pump go? My flat or for the whole block? How does it work?

If it is for my flat only, would this affect anyone elses pressure? Thanks

Thank you chris, thats a massive help to know. Would you mind answering one or two questions i have on this topic?

1) would this negatively affect any of the other flats water pressure?
2) does it run on electricity? If so would it make a large difference to my bills?

And finally... I'm based in E1 do you have any recommendations of who could do this for me if not yourself? Not sure where to start finding a trusted plumber as so far the ones i have had haven't been much help. Thank you!

Thank you chris, thats a massive help to know. Would you mind answering one or two questions i have on this topic?

1) would this negatively affect any of the other flats water pressure? It shouldn't do that is one of the main reasons why the Law sets the limit of 12L/M
2) does it run on electricity? If so would it make a large difference to my bills? They did try powering them with hamsters but the poor things just couldn't keep up, only joking. Yes they electrically powered but it is only a 380watt motor & they only switch on when the water flow drops below 12L/M so should cost pennies to run.

And finally... I'm based in E1 do you have any recommendations of who could do this for me if not yourself? Not sure where to start finding a trusted plumber as so far the ones i have had haven't been much help. Thank you!
PM me with your email if you like I don't work on the tools any more but know a few that do.

Not sure where to start finding a trusted plumber as so far the ones i have had haven't been much help. Thank you!

Pretty simple solution and one most competent plumbers would suggest, what did the other guys suggest?

They spent most of their time getting to the route of the problem. One added no return valves, the other told me to just turn the temp down on my boiler so i didnt need to mix cold in. Another tried reducing the cold water pressure under my shower.

My mains water feed is not under my sink but in a rather small cupboard by my front door - would this be a problem to install a pump in there?

Your gonna need some space and a power point, think small single impella shower pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
Personally I would remove the tmv valve and go...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back