hot water pumping into the expansion tank on ch or hw | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss hot water pumping into the expansion tank on ch or hw in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

englishman

hi i have hot water pumping ino the expansion tank ,on either hot water or ch,ive flushed the heating system and its better now ,it now only pumps into the tank when the pump speed is turned up ,it was originally on 2 now on 1
now if i turn off the ch

as soon as i turn on the hot water, water flows to the expansion tank ,

the level in the expansion tank stays roughly the same ,its not reaching the over flow on either

is there any likelyhood it could be a split coil in the tank?? or more likely a partial blockage somwhere??
cheers

if its only just started id think it was a blockage probably cold feed
usually the cws tank water level is higher than the f&e so a split coil would overflow the f&e

thanks yes the cws is side by side with the f&e but is bigger so the water level is above,i thought if its the coil it would fill the f&e till over flowing??is that correct?

thanks ive found if i turn the boiler temp dial it does turn of at lower settings would u think its ok??

If you have problem why not get someone in to fix it

i have he's recommending change the cylinder,just checking what others make of it,

if you find that a problem dont read!!

No offense intended
I read every post on here as I enjoy it (the forums) your post was not exact hence my suggestion
Ps I hope you get sorted

its either the cylinder or sludge
How old is your system

not sure of the age ,most of it would be around 5 years old at most ,2 of the rads look older ,but im guessing, the reason im questioning his advice is the f&e tank level dosent rise?,dont want to change the cylinder and still have troubles really,
cheers

Pump over is a awkward devil. Depends on system design, on most occasions it occurs where the vent is under high positive pump pressure, best remedy is to site cold feed and vent on boiler flow before the pump, then pump towards the 3 port or the two 2 port motorised valve, also, if pump has been replaced, make sure it is pumping the right way. Pumping over can be caused by at least 30 causes. Most of which are bad system design. Jon.

and as jon said if the pumps been replaced what speed is it set at?

No need to change cylinder unless you getting discoloured hot water from taps! If there is a split in coil heating water should mix your hot water.

It is natural for hot water to rise up through the vent and back into the CWSC, its a safety mechanism as water expands as it heats. If it is gushing then you have a bigger problem, and an experienced plumber or engineer would have to check the system to determine the cause.
Hopefully your plumber has made a sound choice and will fix the problem.

AS steve says there is a blocked or restricted cold feed. It'll probablky need some section(s) cutting out and replacing

,will be double checking all the pipework ,and taking off all around the cold feed ,
thank you all

Its not the cylinder.
Get the pump location in relation to the expansion/ feed tees checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back