Hot water regulation problem | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water regulation problem in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

955Hugh

Dear All,

I have a problem with regulation of our hot water supply. The boiler is a Remeha Avanta Plus and the heating control system is Honeywell.

The boiler is working and will fire when a heating thermostat is turned up, however the regulation of the hot water is not responding when we use hot water. The hot water tank becomes depleted and the boiler remains in standby during the on programme of the Honeywell. The boiler remains in standby even if the Honeywell continuous mode is selected for the hot water.

The problem has only manifested since the heating has been switch on after the summer; possibly just a coincidence! There are no error messages displayed on the boiler and restarting the system makes no difference.

I’m assuming it’s a hot water thermostat or sticking valve problem but I’m in no way qualified and only guessing! Any suggestions much appreciated.

Best Regards

Hugh

Ok try this locate the hot water two port valve and manually move over the lever does the boiler fire now? (make sure there is hw demand)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Thanks Kay-Jay, I did try this a couple of days ago and it seemed to work, i.e. hot water started to flow though the pipes to the tank when I moved the valve from auto to constant. I can't say if it fired the boiler as it was already being used by the central heating! I'll disable the central heating and try it again. Cheers Hugh

Upvote 0
That's right mate turn off heating turn on water demand and manually open valve if boiler fires it will be a fault on the valve. If this is the case remove the head and try turning the spindle if it moves freely then you can just change the synchron motor

Upvote 0
Thanks Kay-Jay, I'll try the above. One question, the valve lever sometimes has resistance when I move it from auto to manual/open and sometimes is very slack. Is this usual? The overall problem seem to be Intermittent, i.e. the boiler is now firing and heating the hot water (central heating is off) and the hot water valve is in the auto position; it's as though it is sticking!

Upvote 0
Sounds like the valve itself is sticking and may need changing in its entirety.

Unless....

Are all conditions the same when lever is moved? Or is it possible that the slack lever is present when demand is on? This could account for less resistance

Upvote 0
Or is it possible that the slack lever is present when demand is on? This could account for less resistance

Or has greater resistance when demand is on if the valve is fighting against the pump flow to open because the heating is on.

The valve actuator will show Auto whether the valve is open or closed in Auto.
Auto just disables the lever.

Upvote 0
it seems it's a slack lever when the demand is on. When I switch the hot water demand off I hear the valve turn and the lever then has more resistance.

Upvote 0
Seem to be getting somewhere! The boiler now fires when the demand is turned on (i.e. switch the Honeywell controller to continuous to override the auto programme setting, which is off at this time of day). The valve lever goes from resistance to no resistance (i.e. valve is open) and the pipes get warm, all seems to be working as it should; however it is intermittent and will probably play-up again if it is left for a few hours! Any ideas? Faulty (sticking valve), controller to thermostat not communicating? Cheers Hugh

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

M
The power to switch the boiler on for heating...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK thanks for the response. I hadn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
When this happened, I assume that the bathroom...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
In the diagram below shows a typical S-plan...
Replies
Views
Back