Hot water tank leak | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water tank leak in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

moomin1982

Hi

It seems that I have a leak coming from my water tank and it might need to be replaced. I live in a first floor flat so am concerned about any potential damage that could have happened to the flat below me. The leak doesn't seem that bad, just about 2/3 inches of soggy carpet in the cupboard and right in front of the tank. Could there be water damage to the flat downstairs?

Thanks in advance!

Get the water to the tank turned off immediately and get a plumber out asap!
Once you get the water to it off fully and turn a hot tap on, the cylinder will stay full of water because the outlet to taps comes from top of cylinder, but most of the pressure will be off it.
Cylinder needs a plumber to drain it. It might have a drain on it at bottom, but they often are seized or blocked.
If the flat has solid floors you might get away with it. Hopefully it hasn't went through the ceiling.
Try getting a lot of old towels & put them tight down to bare floor around cylinder without touching it.
A wet vac might help suck water from carpets etc. Cat litter, if you have a cat, can be useful I guess.

Last edited:
Have had a plumber out already, emergency last night when I noticed it, and he's coming back with a new tank on Monday. He's turned the hot water off and told me to leave it as it is and I've stuck towels down last night as well just to make sure - the plumber doesn't think it should leak again now that he's turned the water off so there's no pressure. It definitely wasn't like that earlier in the week so I'm hoping it's only been like it a few days but my neighbour is away at the moment and his family can't get round until tomorrow to check it out, just hoping that it's not caused any issues. My step-dad reckons my floor is 18/24 mm floorboard which worries me a lot

Have had a plumber out already, emergency last night when I noticed it, and he's coming back with a new tank on Monday. He's turned the hot water off and told me to leave it as it is and I've stuck towels down last night as well just to make sure - the plumber doesn't think it should leak again now that he's turned the water off so there's no pressure. It definitely wasn't like that earlier in the week so I'm hoping it's only been like it a few days but my neighbour is away at the moment and his family can't get round until tomorrow to check it out, just hoping that it's not caused any issues. My step-dad reckons my floor is 18/24 mm floorboard which worries me a lot

Floorboards and plasterboard can absorb surprising amounts of water. If your wet patch is only 2-3" and it's only been leaking a couple of days I'd be surprised if any damage has been done to the ceiling below.

Well my neighbour's son-in-law e-mailed this morning to say that everything looks fine so far but they'll keep an eye on it to make sure that nothing leaks through over the next few days, so looking good so far!

Thanks for your comments, Monday can't come quick enough to have the tank replaced!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Replies
Views
Back