hot water tap blockage | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss hot water tap blockage in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

hello gents and gentesses! on a job today hot water bath tap blocked , originally thought airlock it is a mixer so cloth over spout hot water on then cold did this about ten times there is a dribble id say about quarter flow for a gravity fed tap. anyway custo then tells me they had insulastion put in the attic and it blocked that night but cleared it self but brown sludge came out of the tap anyway its happened again hence me going there my assumption now ceramic disc blocked or damaged turned water off on cold feed to cylinder it was letting by to much the hatch for the attic is tiny i dont think i can get up there to suspend the ball valve and the mains stopcock is broke and to to it of the taps are on the back side of the bath i said id come back and sort tomorrow but its going to be a nightmare any advice

Last edited:
Have you tried a wet vac on the tap?

If you can get to the CWSC then you could bung the feed. If not and the pressure isn't too high you might be able to take the ceramic discs out live and the water run into the bath. I did this on a basin tap today and got away with it!

i did think of doing it live but im not sure if i can get into the attic as im to fat haha but true 6ft but 19st obviously pure muscle . i havnt a wet vac yet, ill sort something out one thing though i was there 2 hours i got some flow but do you still charge them as i didnt cure the problem .the fact that there was brown sludge im thinking the people that put in the insulation moved some pipes so im thinking if they disturbed the cistern

Last edited:
Where abouts is the job?

You could always turn the water off outside then drain the CWSC. However I wouldn't want to drain it before looking in it and making sure there is no more crap to be sucked through and cause you further probs!

i did think of doing it live but im not sure if i can get into the attic as im to fat haha but true 6ft but 19st obviously pure muscle and i havnt a wet vac yet ill sort something outone t5hing though was there 2 hours i got some flow but do you still charge them

How big/old is the customer? some loft hatches are ridiculous if the customer is small, I'd ask them to assist, may not be the correct thing but sometimes what can you do.

If you work on your own sometimes you need an extra pair of hands to stop the tap spinning etc.

If it were me, I would charge to cover my costs. stopcock broken, inaccessable tanks, what can you do?

i know im to soft ill let you know how it goes tomorrow cheers guys

Explain to them that your 19 stone of solid muscle and look at the loft hatch then point out the stopcock and don't be worried about walking away.

I've a similar problem 5' 11 and 18.5 stone, I had to get between the toilet and the bath to change taps. I looked at the customer looked at the gap and said 'serioulsly' we laughed and he got a midget.

However, moving something heavy into a loft not a problem.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could be the washer in the tap itself.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a...
Replies
Views
Back