Hot water too hot at basin pillar taps... | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water too hot at basin pillar taps... in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Unvented cylinder supplies hot water.

Customer has two pedestal basins, both two holes, with separate hot and cold taps. One is tiny, with 135mm tap centres, the other standard and - i think - but got distracted chatting about stuff and even though I measured I am no longer certain of my measurement so would probably have to return - 180mm.

He called me because he wanted two "mixers" fitted instead of separate taps because after a short while the hot is too hot at the basin taps.

I told him the 135mm centres of the tiny basin wouldn't fit a mixer as they are 180mm usually. Then measured the one upstairs and said that could have one (although i can no longer be sure of how good my measuring was but think it was 180, i know on two hole basins they aren't always standard distance, could be 200 or whatever.)

It was only when I left that I realised basin "deck" mixers, which I was visualising, are rare as hen's teeth. And yes a kitchen/bath deck mixer with a small enough spout with appropriate spout projection would fit through the holes and work ok but it would look weird just because you almost never seen them on basins and they are quite bulky. And I wonder if he is visualising something more petite.

Went googling and there is a straight mix of hugely expensive designer two hole mixers, 99.9% for wall mounting not deck mounting and then a few seriously cheap imported crap items floating around on Amazon and eBay I don't fancy. Basically the off-the-shelf mid-range-price basin deck mixer appears to be an unwanted item nobody sells.

So my best option seems to be 1) Fit a TMV under the little basin (if there's room) and offer him the same or a kitchen/bath deck mixer (or dedicated basin deck mixer if I can actually find one that isnt £300) for the normal basin 2) Change the basins both for one hole basins and fit monobloc mixers 3) Fit monobloc mixers on exisiting basins and cap off spare holes

What strikes me is how naff all of these options are. Am I missing a better one....?

Thanks
[automerge]1596778942[/automerge]
Or am I missing the wood for the trees and all that needs to happen is your turn down the hot water temperature?

This would need to still be hot enough for showering though.

How did you sort out the problem in the end?

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They do exist but limited range, here's a...
Replies
Views
A
Oddly, contract lever taps from Screw, Tool et...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I’ve got exactly same problem. I have to put...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
Back