Hot water too hot | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water too hot in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

The Aga on the ground floor supplies hot water to a hot water cyl on the ifrst floor. The HW cyl was 20 galls against a recommended 40 galls so the bathroom rad was added and connected to the AGA circuit to absorb some heat, this worked well.

4 years ago I installed a separate boiler and rads for central heating and I disconnected the bathroom rad from the AGA circuit and hooked it into the boiler circuit and it worked fine.

The EH and coil failed in January, so I replaced the cyl with a 35 gallon tank.

This new HW Cyl has good insulation unlike the previous one which had the four red panels strapped to it which came lose and fell to the ground.

But the water from this new HW cyl gets too hot so I disconnected the bathroom rad from the boiler circuit and reconnected it to the AGA circuit to as before.

But the rad does not heat up so I'm trying to figure why.

The feed for the rad is tapped in the loft, about 3 feet from the expansion tank, to the expansion pipe for the AGA which in turn comes off the flow to the HW cyl.

But the expansion pipe is only just warm in the airing cupboard above the HW cyl, which makes me think that the insulation on the tank is very good and no excess hot water is produced to heat the rad.

The return for the rad is tapped at the AGA return..

The rad bleeds water with obvious pressure so apparent blockage.

If I remove some of the insulation will this cool the HW down?

if the hw cyl is getting to hot you need to look at your cyl stat, not start disconnecting rads etc, from some of your ideas i believe you best bet would be to stop messing around with things you dont understand and call in an expert or sooner or later your going to cause yourself a major problem. diy can only go so far, remember you may want to sell your house one day, a surveyor may find problems with what youve been doing

The Aga on the ground floor supplies hot water to a hot water cyl on the ifrst floor. The HW cyl was 20 galls against a recommended 40 galls so the bathroom rad was added and connected to the AGA circuit to absorb some heat, this worked well.

4 years ago I installed a separate boiler and rads for central heating and I disconnected the bathroom rad from the AGA circuit and hooked it into the boiler circuit and it worked fine.

The EH and coil failed in January, so I replaced the cyl with a 35 gallon tank.

This new HW Cyl has good insulation unlike the previous one which had the four red panels strapped to it which came lose and fell to the ground.

But the water from this new HW cyl gets too hot so I disconnected the bathroom rad from the boiler circuit and reconnected it to the AGA circuit to as before.

But the rad does not heat up so I'm trying to figure why.

The feed for the rad is tapped in the loft, about 3 feet from the expansion tank, to the expansion pipe for the AGA which in turn comes off the flow to the HW cyl.

But the expansion pipe is only just warm in the airing cupboard above the HW cyl, which makes me think that the insulation on the tank is very good and no excess hot water is produced to heat the rad.

The return for the rad is tapped at the AGA return..

The rad bleeds water with obvious pressure so apparent blockage.

If I remove some of the insulation will this cool the HW down?

removing some of the insulation will help also ventilate cupboard however ,not great idea, better you should add /refit the heat sink rad as per original design although you have increased cylinder size,sure not just air locked,also double check vent is not blocked/badly partly blocked,rad should work if water getting hot/to hot regardless of insulation

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
if the hw cyl is getting to hot you need to look at your cyl stat, not start disconnecting rads etc, from some of your ideas i believe you best bet would be to stop messing around with things you dont understand and call in an expert or sooner or later your going to cause yourself a major problem. diy can only go so far, remember you may want to sell your house one day, a surveyor may find problems with what youve been doing

There is no HW cyl stat.

removing some of the insulation will help also ventilate cupboard however ,not great idea, better you should add /refit the heat sink rad as per original design although you have increased cylinder size,sure not just air locked,also double check vent is not blocked/badly partly blocked,rad should work if water getting hot/to hot regardless of insulation

imho

Thanks I'll check for any blockages or air locks.

Last edited:
Sounds like an airlock.

You could solve the heat problem by fitting an extra loop onto the circuit with radiators and a pump, controlled by a pipe stat. When the primary pipe return gets over 60 degrees, the pipestat sets the pump going and dumps the heat into the circuit with the radiators.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
G
Could be one of a number. Need to know what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That’s good, we’ll persevered! Let us know...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
Back