How can I make a temporary repair of a leaking header tank? | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How can I make a temporary repair of a leaking header tank? in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GNNMartin

Our black plastic header tank has developed a split in the base, and we plan to replace it. Unfortunately after 10 days we still have not got a firm date from a local plumber who can do the work. Currently the tank is drained and dry, and life is very inconvenient.

I expect it ought to be possible to stick a patch over the split, and bring the tank back into service. That should be good for six months or more: plenty of time (hopefully!) to schedule the replacement work. Does anyone have any experience of such a patch, or know what patch & glue I should use?

and if it goes while full of very hot water.

what area are you from, somebody on this forum may be local to you and be able to get it done quick.

How big is the split? If it's small and on a flat then you could still it and install a tank connector and blank it off.

But if that's inside your capabilitys then so is replacing the tank

I don't understand that, so I guess it counts as outside my capability. I would have replaced the tank myself by now if it had been a question of just replacing one tank with another the same shape. However, the failing tank is one of a ganged pair, and the new tanks will have to be a coffin tanks (the current tanks are not) to get them into the roofspace. The replacement will mean considerably modifying the pipework, and joining the ganged tanks is something I would rather leave to an experienced plumber.

We have tried all the plumbers for whom we have had recommendations, and I want to use a plumber whose work has been recommended because the potential for damage from a bad job is high. We have a plumber lined up, probably but not definitely in the next week or so, but I want a plan B.

Thinking more about what I might use to patch the split, I thought of the material that is used to line a leaking ceramic drain. That is a sort of rubber balloon that is inflated inside the drain. I'll 'phone Polytank and/or Ferham on Monday to see if they can offer advice.

I do see why so many of you say "don't try", and I do hope I shan't have to.

Don't do anything with the split tank. If you have to get a temporary job done, then have a plumber remove the split tank & do a temporary pipe up to the other tank. Can't be that difficult

Whereabouts are you? One of us may be close enough to come, take a squint and give you a quote.

And believe you me we'd rather chew our own toes off than be given a bad review on this site.

problems not if the tank goes...its when its still running water for 8 hours trying to fill back up while your out thats the problem!!.

try it yourself? i wouldnt put a 2nd year apprentice plumber on his own changing one, have a go!!

sometimes you can fold a normal tank to fit roof access, but easier and a lot more expensive to shove a coffin up.

could always put a self adhisive lino tile over hole but due to liability i didnt suggest that!!!

If you try and fix the tank and something went wrong while no one at home then because its fed by an unlimited amount of mains water then you could seriously flood and damage your house and any ajoining buildings,,, Really it isnt worth taking the risk , so best to heed the advice given below ,

Not saying whether or not I've patched a tank as a temporary repair using a piece of hard plastic and a polymer based sealant. But if I did it would be on the inside of the tank so that the weight of the water helps hold the patch in place.

normally I try to get to folks like those in the post within a day or so to do repairs, means they use you again. Never failed to replace like for like, even if it means removing bits from the access hatch, after all the roof and joists are always there when the original tanks were installed.

I'm pleased to say that we had no need of plan B. A new header tank was installed last week. Thanks to all for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
  • Question
Check toilet over flow isn't plumbed into...
Replies
Views
G4WIL
G
Back