How cap off soil pipe ? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How cap off soil pipe ? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wickers

Hello All,

The downstairs toilet to my 1920's semi has been removed.The non-load bearing wall has been removed that seperated it from the kitchen. I now have a larger kitchen with a clay soil pipe poking through the floor. When the toilet was removed the soil pipe broke away slightly below floor level (so no cap can be placed on it).

The kitchen floor is a solid concrete slab overlayed with quarry tiles. I therefore would like to concrete over the pipe and top with quarry tiles.

My two questions are;

1. What is the actual process of blocking off the pipe ? Do you stuff a load of paper down and top with about 4" of concrete to finish at the top of the pipe and then tile over that?

2. Should building control be involved?

Thanks for your help.

Wickers

that should be fine although i would probably use a plastic bag first then the paper, maybe a bit of hardcore then the concrete. don't know if building control will need to be informed, give them a ring and ask.

Hello Steveb,

Thanks for the reply. Does the plastic bag, paper, hardcore and concrete get placed in the pipe one by one or does the paper and/or hardcore go into the plastic bag and the whole lot shoved into the pipe before pouring some concrete on top? Sorry if it's a daft question ? :smiley2:

Wickers

not daft at all lol. plastic bag goes in first, really just in case concrete is too wet for paper alone. then screw up paper, then hardcore (to cut down on cost of concrete) then concrete.

actually if you can get to the outlet in the manhole it should be cemented that end as well rats love a unused pipe to nest in

Thanks steveb,

Always like to cut the cost where possible. :smiley2:

Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Wickers

Hello Steve ,

The pipe runs diagonally under the house before going into a manhole approx 8 ft deep (Severn Trent Water were digging around recently trying to locate a blockage in the area and come across the manhole under the hedge in our front garden !!!!!)....so this won't be an option.

Cheers for the reply.

Wickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate, thats really helpful photo, and...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks for the informative post. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
Back