how did you guys get into commercial ? | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss how did you guys get into commercial ? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

O

on31ll

im talking about commercial work not the commercial section on the forum.

and what is most of your worked based on ? boilers ?

I've always been commercial. I started many moons ago in the building engineering services division in BT looking after exchanges. At the time I covered heating, lifts, diesel generators and a small amount of aircon. I left BT in 2002, did a lot of subbing, moved to Northern Ireland in 2005 and got in with the mob I'm now with in 2007. All my work is boilers and gas these days.

I blagged my way into a com job

Learnt very quickly.

But it's not easy. Very difficult and quite complex.

I was working with a Building services firm as a Facilities engineer, looking after almost everything, much like Croppie. Got disillusioned with working for a firm and decided to go out on my own. I don't do much commercial these days, my ticket runs out soon and I dont think Ill be renewing it. Too many big companies round my way to compete with.

Previous firm I worked for did a fair amount of comercial which laterly I was doing for them, went out on my own, and do very little now, just a couple of sites, just about covers the cost of my comercial ticket.

I started in water treatment installing freshwater pipe systems my father was running the first job i went on and blagged me in as a pipefitter, i enjoyed it like an adult mecano set. Being smaller at the time i was sent down pipes with mickey mouse gaskets to hold from inside the pipe while someone outside tightend up the flanges. Id say its a good way to get into commercial theres only one direction of flow for starters which makes it a bit easier than domestic CH.

I've heard now there s a big market for this as anything over 2.5" (I think) now has to be welded not threaded or something along them lined

Unfourtunatly most people use mapress. That goes up to 4" and requires very little skill

Less than 100mb can be pressed upto 4"

hmmmm might see how it goes and the need for it then look into a welding course. you guys do it ? i just hate being asked to do somthing and having to let it go because i dont do it.

I'd say welding needs more than just a course (unless you can weld already that is) as its a bit of a skill. I haven't done any for years, and am sure it would take a bit of practice to do anything I'd put my name to.

i can mig weld little bits but there isnt much to it ! think its the same as most things it is a skill but with enough practice suppose you could do it ! or thinking of an easier root hire a pipe fitter !

i can mig weld little bits but there isnt much to it ! think its the same as most things it is a skill but with enough practice suppose you could do it ! or thinking of an easier root hire a pipe fitter !

You have to be a coded welder to weld gas

I usually screw up to 2.5" over this its victaulic joints or flanges unless its thinwall carbon steel which seems to be all the rage at the momemnt which is a mappress. I take it croppie your talking about gas pipes with those pressures and not water?

Is the money good in commercial? I have been asked by a facilities management company to do some commercial stuff but I've had to pass on it as not currently got the ticket.
It seems a bit of a dark art, everyone who does it says there's no good money in it anymore.... but they always seem to be loaded!!! lol...hmm

Its horses for courses. I never see any difference in what i get as subby. If your supplying labour it can make you extremely wealthy and at the same time it could make you extremely broke. As for it being a dark art its generally alot easier than house bashing. For a start you normally have plenty of room to work unlike in a house having to dig up boards and stuff. You have to be able to read drawings which on the whole isnt exactly rocket science after youve done it a while. One main difference in commercial heating to most domestic plumbing is a hot return pipe aswell as a hot and cold. As an example if your in an office block and the boilerhouse is say 100 meters away you would lose alot of water before you got any hot out your tap so the hot water circulates and sinks etc draw off from a maximum of 5m away.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We just charge it by the hour like everything...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Clearly you have a Domestic Gas installation...
Replies
Views
Back