How do these drain off work? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How do these drain off work? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Looks like a cap on the bottom. Is it a case of taking it off and getting a hose on asap ?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 46
Yep, turn off both valves first. That will airlock the valve but you will get a short spurt if on a pressurised system, and font lose the little Black seal in the cap

I couldn't have said it better myself

Hate these valves some times find it easier to turn off both valves, crack one and connect small bit of 15 with olive nut and hose attached hose attached and just cap rad with 15mm s/e

Least favourite are the Myson ones where drain off is horizontal and is a vent nipple, always end up fishing nipple out if the gully !

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put a hose on that beef it up with leccy tape and have a towel under and jublee clip if poss. if the little black washers knacked then ptfe the thread when putting cap back on... I too hate those things.

I isolate rad, cap off rad with a cap end. Swivel rad valve 180* and connect an mt plug with a nut and olive. And double check the stuffing box/gland.
In a nutshell, a crap way of draining off.

They were invented by Satan. Do not touch. Close valves, drain rad and use 1/2" or 3/4" speedfit tap connector on valve to drain.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
For a drain valve?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you got any photos to share of your...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi All, I have two sets of radiator pipes...
Replies
Views
Adam Rifat
A
B
  • Question
Usually age of property, but you could always...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Back