How does water in mains pipe make a noise like water running? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How does water in mains pipe make a noise like water running? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

In our semi-detached house - and also other houses 50 yards away recently had an issue whereby we could hear the mains water pipe sounding like water was running somewhere - not the actual trickling of water - but the sound of like a high pitch hum etc 24/7.

The water board inspector came out and said there is air in the mains pipe somewhere - about 2 weeks later our mains cold tap 'burped' out a huge dose of air and the noise has stopped...
My question is - how can air in a mains pipe make the pipe sound like there is water running somewhere - when in fact the water isn't running? Anyone?
PS the problem appears to be fixed but I am curious to know what makes the noise.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A very rough calculation maybe using a UPS 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s sometimes is air but half of the problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
Back