How far do you go for work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How far do you go for work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

F

flat pack

We just done a job in dover 100 ish miles away.
Good earner ,but when we got there ended up with extra work and done a 22hr shift.

How far do you go to earn the pennies.

Or how far do you go for a tap washer job. :auto:

I rarely do tap washers, but I have clocked about 14000 miles this year so far. I got a job in Greenock the week after next which is 550 miles round trip. I don`t mind the travel cause I charge hourly + mileage. But the most grief when working out of town is getting materials that you need that you did not know you needed.

i have to travel to dunoon everyday leave the house at 6am to catch half 7 ferry but at least its a job all in all about 40 miles but have worked further, friday is going to be a long day, once finished from dunoon planning on coming back to start a 7 rad system, hoping to have the boiler piped up and all rads on wall for saturday morning(me+bro)

Last edited:
I travel all over Scotland, and go where the work is. Nowadays I think that you have to be prepared to travel because if you stick to doing local work it will quickly dry up.

8 miles at a push!.

boiler fits worth going to if monies right, pain if you need supplies.imo.
done a family job on the east coast recently though.

if you cant find work on your own doorstep...then your living in the wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 miles at a push!.

boiler fits worth going to if monies right, pain if you need supplies.imo.
done a family job on the east coast recently though.

if you cant find work on your own doorstep...then your living in the wrong place.
Completely disagree. Compare the ratio of households in a town wanting to spend a decent amount of cash on a new bathroom/wet room there isn't a constant supply, even less when you include the huge amount of competition these days. In the bigger cities there is a lot more work. A lot of my work is in Edinburgh which is a 60 mile round trip. I go where the decent paying quality work is, as I can't make a living out of tap washers and choked loos.

About 75 miles each way at the mo 5:45 am start. Dont mind working hard but prefer to work smart in that better paid work but a lot less stable, must be my age...

Completely disagree. Compare the ratio of households in a town wanting to spend a decent amount of cash on a new bathroom/wet room there isn't a constant supply, even less when you include the huge amount of competition these days. In the bigger cities there is a lot more work. A lot of my work is in Edinburgh which is a 60 mile round trip. I go where the decent paying quality work is, as I can't make a living out of tap washers and choked loos.

totally agree with you ,
where i live there is alot of competition for not alot of work in a known low pay area.
If there is aa choice of earning a few bits bobs or going a bit further to earn some decent coint then its in the van and off i go it is.Dont get me wrong i would love to plumb on my doorstep but fact is that i drive around my neighbourhood and seems to be heating vans in every other street.

Totaly agree

Similar plumbing topics

Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Noisy Tap - Replace Breach??? Sounds like you...
Replies
Views
Yes aslong as you remove the old washer eg any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Back