How many turns of pfte, to stop radiator leaking? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How many turns of pfte, to stop radiator leaking? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The only leak I always struggle with is where the valve is joined to a radiator. So here's a question for all you plumbers. How many turns of ptfe do you put on the valve to stop it leaking? or do you have any other tips??

I don't put any PTFE on the olive, just a bit of paste.

Do you mean the !/2 chrome thread? I never really count the turns,I guess it's around 10. It depends on the 2 fittings really and how closely the threads fit. It's something you'll get a feel for with experience. I still use boss white and hemp in certain situations, particularly on connections to solid fuel appliances(not potable water though!) If I use it on rad tail I run a hacksaw blade across the threads to stop it slipping. Do other people still use it?or am I being old fashioned!!

between 10 to 15 turns of tape should be enough on the rad tails.

10-12 turns on rads. Its the cheap towel rails with no decent female thread that causes me problems sometimes, so out with the hemp and paste, might try some ptfe thread next time, dont like using it as it costs so much, lol

I tend to use Loctite 55 these days, i know its a bit more expensive but it is quicker and seems to hold well.

save your pennies and make pounds quattro, the old ways are best.

i use probably about 10+ turns building up a taper along the thread on the tail, if its not a nice tight fit take off and redo as the tollerances on these threads can vary. some plumbers also put a tiny wipe of paste on the first thread.

Locitite 577 never fails costly but priceless

I use 10 - 15 turns onto a new rad and if its onto a used rad i add some jointing paste as well . It may be overkill but it works !

i dont really count, but when i do use it if it leaks i add more

i dont really count, but when i do use it if it leaks i add more

was going to say one more than is needed :)

I do as fdph but use a little lsx

When making joints it is important to know what you are sealing,it is surprising how many do not,thus threads taped on compression fittings ect

In this case it is the space between the male thread on rad and female thread on fitting,so a lot depends on the quality of these two threads

You will notice on a good quality towel rails or rads a few turns will do,on cheaper units,with lower quality engineering, it will take more,always make a slight taper though to allow tape to be trapped in thread when doing up

This is why I like Lsx also and others loctite 55 as not only does it seal joint but also holds it in place also ,if poor quality engineered thread involved

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies folks.
Excuse my ignorance whats fdph and lsx? So far loctite 55 sounds like a winner for me.
Has anyone had any experience of liquid PTFE?? or loctite 572?

I recommend Loctite 55 and Boss White paste, never leaks. The extra pennies you spend using this will be saved in time spent repairing leaks.

unlucky for some but i always do 13 turns for rads (its kinda become an obsessive habbit), i used to do about 20 but over the years you try and find out how low you can go, i found 11 to be about water tight so always 2 more wraps. probably done 2000 rads with 13 turns and never had a leak on one. now cheap nasty towel rads are a different story lol

ptfe about 12 turns but 55 is much better about 7 turns and a little paste
for towel rails i try to find the vaves that have the rubber washers that seal like the vent and plug do in fact if i get that type of valve i tend to keep a few of the tails just for towel rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Oh yes. You would need to turn the water off...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sea...
Replies
Views
Replace the valve, no ptfe, valve comes with...
Replies
Views
Back