How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip | Tiling Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip in the Tiling Advice area at Plumbers Forums

How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip

Hi,

Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a shower before grouting. I stupidly didn't remove a lot of it before it thoroughly dried, and while there is room to put grout in the gaps between tiles over the adhesive (in other words, the adhesive doesn't fully fill the voids), there is quite a lot of adhesive in the gaps as you can see below, and the inner edges of the tiles mostly have a thin covering of adhesive that I'm struggling to remove... I'm pretty worried this might make the shower more vulnerable to leaking in some way I'm not aware of? Maybe because the grout won't stick to the adhesive properly? Would appreciate any thoughts on whether I need to scrape more adhesive out.

And, in the process of trying to remove more adhesive I chipped a few tiles :( There's a photo of the biggest chip (about 2mm by 2mm). The other chips are tiny and I'm not worried about them from an aesthetic point of view. And I feel like I can probably figure out how to cover the larger chip (the grout we have will probably blend in with the tiles quite well at the chip is low down in the cubicle so I'm hopeful it just won't be very visible). Again what I'm worried about is the shower not being watertight somehow because of the chips. Given we fill the voids with grout, is it okay from a water resistance point of view to just cover the chips with grout too (they're all on the edges of tiles)? Or maybe urethane would be better?

Thankyou!!

How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, both taps in the shower have been filled...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Possibly where the shower is screwed to wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've just done some investigation under the...
Replies
Views
Many thanks Shaun. I'm going to put battens on...
Replies
Views
Back