How much does this work cost?? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How much does this work cost?? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

J

Jm123

Morning All,

I've got to get some work done on my house and i've been quoted just under £600 (not incl. VAT) for the work to be done and, being a self employed shop fitter, money's tight at the moment.

In a nutshell, the rads aren't heating up and in order to sort this out i've been told that i need a new exchange 3 way diverter valve, new exchange pump, the central heating system needs to be re-wired as there's no permanent live to the boiler and then the system needs powerflushing to remove any sludge deposits.

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

i recon you're looking at £250-300 for the flush then £100 plus parts for the pump and three way valve then £150 to re-wire the heating system. decent pump and three way probably in region of £160 at least. how old is the system?

I've no idea, i bought the place 8 years ago and it was already in. I don't think it's 'ancient' though.

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Price sounds about right for that work but why do you need a permanent live to the boiler if it's worked OK without one before. Is the 3 port faulty? Is the pump faulty? Are you getting hot water OK? If you are then I'd put it down to a faulty 3 port microswitch. In any case a permanent live to the bioler does not warrant a rewire all it takes is 3 core and earth flex (hr) 1 switched live (heating or hot water call) 1 return (neutral) 1 permanent live and earth.

Which boiler is it ? Pretty difficult to determine anything without some basic info.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of larger companies would charge you that amount just for the powerflush! Sounds like a fair price to me.

It sounds like to me you need to double check what the problem is:

Unless the pump or motorised valve is faulty, they dont need replacing. Also a 'power flush' is not likely to solve your problem, unless it has been diagnosed as such. Price sounds ok, just the work sounds like guess work to me . . .

Similar plumbing topics

I have been offered an interview with the...
Replies
Views
Apologies for the delay. Turns out the...
Replies
Views
I posted that in August. In September I took...
Replies
Views
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
Back