How noisy should an electric boiler be? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How noisy should an electric boiler be? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nickfel

I've just moved into a flat with a Trianco Aztec 9kW electric boiler and it constantly makes a soft whiring noise. You don't really notice it during the day, but at night it's very, very audible through a partition wall.

Can anyone give me an indication of whether this is normal? I don't want to call someone out over absolutely nothing, but everything I can find about electric boilers emphasises how quiet they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have it running 24hrs a day do you? Could be the pump.

I don't think so, the running light isn't on. It's much quieter than the noise it makes if I switch the heating on.

Is the noise a constant or is it a zzzzz zzzz zzzz. Zzzz noise? If its less of a whirr and more of a zap I would get a spark to have a look, possibly a poor connection or damaged contact, noise louder when under load ?

Definitely constant, I wouldn't describe it as an electrical-sounding noise. It's not unlike the normal sorts of noises I'd expect to hear from a gas boiler, it's just doing it 24/7, demand or not.

The noise when it comes on is quite different, much higher pitched -- sounds a lot like when your laptop fan suddenly kicks up a notch.

I guess what I'm asking is: would you expect one of these to be basically silent when I'm not using any heat?

Fitted an electric combi a couple of years ago but that was quiet until demand. Then it was a faint hum. I'd get a sparky to check it out.

When everything is off yes it should be silent. I would get a spark round sounds a bit of a hazard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You don't have a leak, you have a situation...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Yep, no pump over run
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Get alpha to come out and do a repair , i...
Replies
Views
Back