How to connect to this soil pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to connect to this soil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I took the boxing out from around this toilet yesterday to find this old style clay(?) or concerete (?) soil pipe. The existing toilet has a 90 deg spigot on the back but obviously the replacement is a nomal modern one. Can I just break the solid seal around the old spigot, whip it out and then insert a modern 90 deg pan connector in far enough to seal on the main body of the pipe? Or do I need a specific adapter? I have other work to finish in the room but didn't want to take it out and leave the client without a toilet because I don't have the correct adapter.
IMG_1484.jpg

Looks like cast iron pipe.
There is a rubber adapter available that will fit over the fosset near the wall.
If you take the pan off, you may be able to manipulate the pipe connecting the pan out of the fosset.
Don't manipulate too much in case you break the fosset - then all your worst nightmares will seem like fairytales

Just be careful it’s not abestos pipe

The socket at the wall will either be filled with lead or cement.

So depending on where the toilet outlet is, depends what to do.

Either angle grind the cast and connect to it.

Or remove the pipe stub from the socket, if:

cement - masonry drill bit and stitch drill around pipe to loosen it, then hammer/chisel to remove.

lead - blow torch to melt it out

Then inset new piece of plastic pipe with cement.

Just be careful it’s not abestos pipe
That's a really good point. I'll test it with a magnet tomorrow and that should tell me if it's cast ron underneath the various layers, in which case I'm good to go and will angle grind it per Timmy's suggestion. Just done some reading and the age of the toilet puts it smack bang in the middle of the popular asbestos fitting period so need to be careful if I can't prove it's metal.

Similar plumbing topics

I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
Turn your phone 45 degrees!!! The picture is...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
Back