How to find work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to find work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Get a rope and loads of Business cards, stand in the street untill you see someone with lots of coats on and looking really stressed Lasoo them and give them your number and a little kiss too.

The business cards is a good idea actually. Cards and leaflets. Get out there and spread the word. Get your name out there. Delivering your leaflets locally. Local directorys. It's fairly quiet out there for many so don't expect miracles. Good luck tho.

if you go on manufacturers courses, you can then be entered on there web search pages for installers.
interested customers put up a postcode search and will usually contact whoever seems closest for a quote.
well worth doing if you have time on your hands

It may seem like i was taking the mick, but its the million pound question, if we all knew exactly how to reach customers, we wouldnt waste our money on things that dont work.
If you want to be busy and have loads of money then yell.com, yellow pages, local paper, website, google adwords, facebook advert, trust a trader, mybuilder, linkedin, leaflets i.e.

for me, the website, yell.com and leaflets worked for me, but I could still be a lot lot busier

The problem I find is they are all much the same. If you are going to use any then Trust a trader is the best, they advertise everywhere, but are very very expensive.

yell are incredibly expensive. I'm on checkatrade now and getting quite a few enquiries but you need to have at least ten existing customers to give details of before you can sign up. I started out pounding the streets putting cards through doors which gave me a good start but I've also got loads of other contacts through the dog clubs I'm a member of and my photography. A lot of people have used me because they already know and trust me.

Get a website on front page of Google. Here's mine
Www.plumbing-heating-kjs.com

Website designed free. All i pay is it£55 per month for seo work. Takes two months to get on front page in a busy town like bolton. Im still on page 3 but already get 7-8 unique visitors a day. I've cancelled my local rag advert which cost me over a hundred a month. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Best way I've found to build my business is to be polite and punctual with customers. So many tradesmen turn up late or not at all, are rude, or don't treat the home properly. Answer your phone or return calls, be polite and if possible charming!!

I always wear shoe covers. So do the guys who work for me. I always lay lots of dust sheets down, and I always tidy up.

The other thing is: Value the customers I do have, and not always chase new ones (obviously this is easy for me to say as I have a customer base).

So many people become fixated on new custom, new custom.

My client base gives me return business, and I don't have to spend a penny on advertising to get them to do that. All I have to do is the above. Be polite, call if I'm running late, and be knowledgeable but not boring about what I do. Some people don't care why there XY or Z is broken, they just want it fixed. Others will want to discuss options, upgrades. They expect me to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Not like a excited kid, but like I care what I put into their home.

After all this, some people will go elsewhere, possibly someone cheaper, or just because you can't get there when they need you too. But they will still hold you in high regard and possibly come back to you.

I've had customers not call for a couple of years, and out of the blue I get a call. I still apply the same as above, even if they have gone elsewhere as it's my opportunity to get them back on board.

Most people have a dentist, who is their dentist, or hairdresser, or vet whatever. With a bit of effort you can be their plumber, and they will reccomend you to other friends.

Added to this I now also use the website, which brings a bit of work in.

90% is reccomendations, or regular customers. Which I am proud of. We did three major jobs in one road last year/this year. Over a years worth of work. All from a reccomendation of one of my customers, and then them doing the same to their neighbours.

Last edited:
Agree with dannypipe it is all about doing a good job for each customer, as he says treat their home as if it was your own, return calls what ever the value of the job.

Local mags and parish mags work well. People who get them tend to actually read them, and advertising in them is cheap.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ...
Replies
Views
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Be really careful with online companies...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces...
Replies
Views
Back