how to gain experience? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss how to gain experience? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wet wet wet

I am 3 months into a two year city and guilds nvq level 2 plumbing course but need to gain experience.
I only go to college 1 day a week so have time to work as an apprentice or even work unpaid.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks

ring self employed plumbers up and say u will work for free for experience :/

Get yourself a burner, copper and some fittings – solder as much as you can, till you can do it with your eyes shut. You know what I mean. Also get yourself the benders, again practice as much as you can. Get ready. It’ll help you later!
As above, ask plumbers at the merchants - if they need any help, don’t talk money. You just need to put your foot in the door. Good luck.

as alex said get some basic tools pipe slicers bender etc, in your spare time practice and get better and better, then find plumbers to work for even do it for free, then you get experience once you can completely install bathrooms or CH systems by yourself or with very minimum help, they should start paying a bit here and there. once your fully qualified and with all the experience from different plumbers you have helped out, youll be set up for going self employed or work for someone.

good luck

No matter what experience you gain always be open to learn new stuff even if it appears mundane. We regularly do bathrooms and kitchens and so siliconing is sort of second nature but intermittent. However we recently had a load of 300 mm by 300 mm ply left over from a challenging mosaic tile job. I set up a few spare normal tiles on these and then on jigs to practice. Learnt a lot even at my advanced years. I almost guarantee but am prepared to be shot down that a lot of plumbers would love someone to come in and do the sealing to save the stress ? I have a chap who is an artist with a gun and a decent metre rate but he is in London so have to give him a days equivalent work no matter what the job size. Good luck with your endeavors as this current climate will get better. if you can get some good stuff under your belt now it will pay dividends.

I hate it but am quite good at it.

I find lagging therapeutic lol

So what's the best tips for using silicone? I tend to apply a thickish bead then run along with a shaping tool and use a baby wipe for the excess. I'm definitely no artist but I can get by

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking in Leicster and lincoln area for...
Replies
Views
Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Hello i have completed my level 2 plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, i was wondering if there was...
Replies
Views
Back