How to get L2 NVQ without apprenticeship? | Plumbing Courses | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to get L2 NVQ without apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

C

cgo147

Im currently on a level 2 city & guilds 6129 plumbing course and was wondering how i can get the nvq without doing an apprentership ( dont bother with 'everyone has done an apprentership u have to ' ( im 17 and am based in london) if amyone can help ill be very appreciative

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thats not the greatest impression to make or the best attitude!

tell us about yourself and we can then give you advice on the situation.
if you're 16 or 43 it does change things.

Well... I started an apprentiship at 18, lived on a farm all my life, have always done odd jobs and helped out building trades and quite honestly when i started i was way out of my depth.

take the time and do an apprentiship to gain all the skills you will need.

you wont have any transferable skills from any other jobs and college alone doesnt teach you how to deal with things on the job.

If you do the college courses, pass and walk into any job as a qualified plumber without any onsite experiance you wont last a week sadly.

you need to do the apprentiship to gain the skills needed.

best of luck :)

Im currently on a level 2 city & guilds 6129 plumbing course and was wondering how i can get the nvq without doing an apprentership ( dont bother with 'everyone has done an apprentership u have to ' ( im 17 and am based in london) if amyone can help ill be very appreciative

Now now tubs, hes young and naive :)
everyone has been that at some point
Im not in the wrong mindset im determind to become a plumber but have been told by plumbers an apprentership is not the only way to get the NVQ , my question is does anyone no how without an apprentiship? Dont need any wise comments as im not here for an argument only advice im 17 studying plumbing lvl 2 city and guilds 6129 based in london.

Sunshine. There will be no arguments at all. You will listen to the advice given you whether or not it's what you want to hear.

IF you fail to follow my advice then you'll be very quickly heading out the exit.

Keep it polite while you're telling him how the real world works lads!

Well... I started an apprentiship at 18, lived on a farm all my life, have always done odd jobs and helped out building trades and quite honestly when i started i was way out of my depth.

take the time and do an apprentiship to gain all the skills you will need.

you wont have any transferable skills from any other jobs and college alone doesnt teach you how to deal with things on the job.

If you do the college courses, pass and walk into any job as a qualified plumber without any onsite experiance you wont last a week sadly.

you need to do the apprentiship to gain the skills needed.

best of luck :)
Thanks for a decent reply, unlike that other melt! Also i no i need experience but im wondering if i can be a plumbers mate on site then pay and get someone to assess me for the nvq?

You see being a plumbers mate kind of sets you in a single role and you can become stuck as just a plumbers mate.

personally with an apprenticeship you can plan it nvq level 2, level 3 nvq and the gas as part of it, at 17 while you have the time its the best option, by 21 you could be gas safe and highly competent!

My friend went as a plumbers mate, 3 years down the line I'm oftec, passed my acs, will be gas safe in a few months (poor croppie) , have g3, some electrical qualifications and moving fast.

he has his level 2 nvq and is still just pushing pipes on sites.

as an apprentice you will do almost everything and get a huge amount of experience, i know the pays not great but in years to come you will realise that experience would have cost you a 1000 quid a day paying for it.

Don't aim to be a plumber, aim to be a gas and heating engineer! Aim as high as you can

others might have different advice but thats mine :)
good luck :)

Well what can I say ?
So in the absence of any easier route into the trade, essentially you need an apprenticeship. Funnily enough I'm in the market for another apprentice, so too I suspect are others on the forum, but we'll all keep looking elsewhere as you have laid your cards firmly on the table.
You will never amount to anything with that attitude as long as you've got a hole in your bum
It doesn't matter what paperwork you obtain, without respect it's worthless.

Also with the nvq...i could drop a couple of grand and have it in a couple of weeks but it would never show competence like an apprenticeship.

this is why apprenticeships are worth so so much, its the time spent, not the money

Re: How to get an NVQ without doing an apprentership

you need to gain an experience mate, that what a NVQ is about, not to have some useless piece of paper and not knowing what you are doing..

And people wonder why there are so many Polish plumbers in the UK ??? All the Poles I have met are polite & respectful. Attributes our departed friend wouldn't recognize if they ran him over.

I did post a reply to the thread but can't seem to see it now. I didn't see the entire thread otherwise I wouldn't have wrote anything. Can't have people coming on being disrespectful or not appreciating the advice given.

Similar plumbing topics

B
The organisation you're doing the NVQ with...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Supplying and demand I suppose depends on...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
6035 is the diploma, 6189 is the NVQ. 9189 is...
Replies
Views
Back