How to identify and set valves on a bypass radiator | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to identify and set valves on a bypass radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm trying to determine if i have a bypass radiator installed in my rented flat. The agency have said its the bathroom radiator, that one is the only single panel in the flat the others are all double, does this confirm its a bypass radiator? If not how do I check? And what does the bypass radiator do differently?

My ultimate aim is to balance the system, i've noticed all the on/off and lock-shield valves are fully open suggesting that no one has done it before. The bathroom radiator is close to the boiler and gets much hotter than the others so i think the lock-shield should be relatively closed down to restrict flow but don't know if thats the case for a bypass? Radiators further away should have their lock shields more opened up?

Thanks for the advice.

Hi there. Youl know a bypass radiator as it won't have a thermostatic valve so it can't be turned off. It should simply be a set of lockshield valves. When balancing the system your right about distance from boiler but it can depend on how the property is piped. It's best to use a differential temperature reading accross each flow n return to achieve your 12 degrees difference.

Hi Kris, actually none of the radiators have TRV's on them. It seems you can crudely control flow by how open you keep the inlet on/off valve as it has a +- on the plastic cap. The bathroom radiator does have a cap on it to allow adjustment of the valve, does this then suggest its not the bypass?
There is one radiator in the flat that doesn't have a cap on either valve but i didn't suspect it to be the bypass, its furthest from the boiler and is in a bedroom, if any of that matters. It could have just lost its plastic screw cap some time in the past.. Thanks

Then they will all act as a bypass.
why not ask the landlord/agency to arrange TRVs and a room stat (if you don't have one) to be fitted?
Cut your gas bills and help manage the temperature of the flat

There is a room stat in the hall (Sunvic TLX) with an analog dial which looks much older than the boiler (Ariston E-Combi) so i'm wondering if its even attached to the system, looks like it was from a previous system.

In that case, as the bathroom radiator is blazing hot and near to the boiler, this seems to be the first in the system, i will close this down a bit and open up rads further away to see if i can balance the temperature of all of them a bit more. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
J
You have a gas boiler and a HeatPump?
Replies
Views
To prove once and for all that the rad tails...
Replies
Views
Hi d36csr. You aren't a bicycle plumber are...
Replies
Views
Back