How to keep your oil from freezing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter lame plumber
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K

Discuss How to keep your oil from freezing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

phone pics 054.jpg

You let your old camray 5 non condensing flue warm the single skinned plastic tank, as the single skin allows for a quicker heat transfer than a bunded one would :bomb2:

still the explosive ignition problem became clear once I extracted the lowest baffle

phone pics 051.jpg

and changed the nozzle and started setting it all up, first drop the pump pressure from 150 psi to 115psi!!, then shut down the
air inlet from 10 to around 2 to get the CO2 back to 11 fm 14.

Obviously the customer admitted the boiler hadnt been serviced for a bit!!!!!!!!!, but hey ho it took 3 & 1/2 hours to scrape out the soot and get it looking normal, but the scary bang on start up had gone!, so they couldnt tell whether the boiler had come on anymore. And the last advice given was prehaps they ought to have a flue guard put over the flue to stop the toddlers putting their little hands anywhere near it. Still a great little earner and I still have to go back and swap that baffle that is sitting further up in the boiler now. Happy xmas to all the gas engineers out there you just dont know what your missing.

nice, how long before the tank melts and the garden barbeque starts?i know exactly what i am missing thats why i gave up oil

manufacturer will allow a fire resistant shield in front of the plastic!, so he was advised to go fetch a big sheet of aspestolux and 2 posts :smug: .

But forgot to mention, 3 & 1/2 hours and no coffee, so another addition went on the bill to buy a costa on the way home for lunch:wacko:

I must admit I'd be tempted to slap a sticker or two around until that tank was moved/firewall built. If the worst was to happen it would be the last person attending who'd be getting it in the neck and no amount of customer signing disclaimers would clear the boilerman.

Just my opinion.

Having said that, I don't know the full circumstances. For example, if the customer(s) is frail and lack of heating would endanger their health and bring on hypothermia, or the tank is to be re-sited when it's next empty, etc, etc.

sticker on tank, photos taken of sticker and wifey signed that she read all my paperwork, its not gas theres nothing else to do as they own the kit and any attempt to cut them off can be considered to be criminal damage. You can only tell em thereafter its between them and their insurers and in this case their neighbours insurers as both their tanks butt up to each other with a nice fireproof wooden panel keeping them apart.

I can't be bothered to look up the files and things but when I was learning I was told that if I felt something was life threatening it was better to cut the supply or disable the boiler or whatever and face questions rather than attend a funeral.

With the above, again, I don't know the circumstances but I really don't feel that working on the boiler to get it going is something I'd be doing until that tank (or the flue) was moved.

You'll see more and more of these as you go around. What concerns me is that building control are passing them!

Mind you, we all know building control haven't a clue, I had a run in with one a few years ago.....

"Hello John, oil install at *** Oddbins Street..."
"What about it?"
"Too close to the fence, either relocate or install a fire rated barrier."
"Fair enough, you did clock it's a solid metal fence though?"
"Yeah but something the other side of the fence could catch fire."
"Oh. That'd be very tricky though."
"Oh really? What do you mean?"
"You don't know what's behind that fence do you."
"Does it matter?"
"Does if it's a scrap metal merchant."
"Oh. Ermmmmm............."

"Tell you what John, I think you may have a point. Bye then!"

I was sent out to this because the delivery driver refused to deliver oil, it had been moved three days previously, onto a new stillage! Obviously somebody thought it was ok.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044072.208710.jpg

custards just sent a text moaning his system pressure is higher than normal at 2.5 bar, not worried aboat anything else and probably looked at the boiler for the first time in months. Cant be expn vsl as that was checked and set at 1 bar with system pressure dropped. I expect some crud has blocked the expn pipe and holding pressure up as the prv wasnt blowing off or leaking whilst I was there.

re dont knowit.... comment, theres not a lot you can do after the custards had the boiler there for 8 years and they own it apart fm advise them of an issue. One day the law may change!

Another picky of the same tank laid on 4 x 2metre 100mm x 60mm concrete lintels or at least it should have beenImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044365.461992.jpg

Yes, and no they haven't been paid for the work as far as I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back