How to prevent heat loss from a hydronic storage tank? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to prevent heat loss from a hydronic storage tank? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I have a hydronic hot water storage tank located at floor level. The hot water flow and return pipes run up the wall into the ceiling space and then back down to floor level to the manifold. We are experiencing significant heat loss from the storage tank when the system is not circulating, presumably from convection. I would appreciate advice as to the most effective way to eliminate the heat loss. Thanks.

You've lost me with the term 'hydronic hot water storage tank'.

However, if it is some kind of storage vessel and the flow and returns from the heat source run up away from it, then natural circulation (convection) will tend to circulate hot water into the raised sections of pipework, via one-pipe circulation even. Solutions can be anti-convection loops (run the pipe down before it goes up), long horizontal sections before rising (at least 18"), or just very good lagging on the pipework. From your post, it sounds as if you are asking whether the pipework could be circulating heat away from the storage vessel and the answer is, yes it can.

Similar plumbing topics

Have a look at Daikin Altherma. The issue...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Back