How to release locking nut on mixer tap | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to release locking nut on mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spiderman

I want to replace a kitchen mixer tap but I can't move the big plastic retaining nut from underneath the sink as there dosent seem much to bite onto with an adjustable wrench. Has anybody got any tips please

You need to invest in a different tool, either a basin wrench or tap spanner (fits completely over the plastic nut, a little bit like a socket set does) they are available from most plumbing merchants

You need to invest in a different tool, either a basin wrench or tap spanner (fits completely over the plastic nut, a little bit like a socket set does) they are available from most plumbing merchants

Thanks, I will try a basin wrench first as I think I can borrow one if not I will look out for a tap spanner you have suggested. I'm assuming that you would need to disconnect the pipe from the other end first to enable to get the spanner all around the plastic holding nut

That correct, you can pick the tap spammer up for less than a tenner in a merchants

Disconnect pipework and rotate body of tap anticlockwise until it rotates freely.
At some point of rotation it should be possible to get tool on nut to stop rotation.
Continue to rotate body of tap with nut held firm.
If all else fails hacksaw or angle grinder will cut brass tap with ease.
Basin wrenches are easy to modify and thick jawed adjustable, used end on, solves many problems

Footprints grips can often get into awkward places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just for future reference, a grub screw doing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I haven’t used my socket set yet. Purely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hope this works Flomasta 35mm Ceramic Tap...
Replies
Views
Back