How to remove a glued cistern | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to remove a glued cistern in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Morning everyone. We have a leak from one of cistern holding down bolts on our close coupled WC. This has occurred after a plumber replaced the flush valve yesterday. The problem is now that the plumber says he can't get the cistern off to replace the bolts because it is glued ( probably silconed ) to the wall. He was aware of this before he quoted on the flush valve job and the method we discussed allowed for the removal of the cistern. He is now suggesting a full replacement of the cistern and WC instead. At the moment our leaking toilet is isolated from the water supply. A few questions: I assume it is correct that to replace the holding down bolts the cistern has to be removed and other techniques such as trying to seal the leaking bolt won't work. Is this correct? I know that removing a glued cistern is a pain, but is it possible using a cheese wire or hacksaw blades? Are there any other things we can investigate to avoid the significant cost of a brand new WC? All advice gratefully received.

Normally its just 2 blob of sealant pumped tho fixings holes.
Easily cut through with a sharp blade.
I have a thin 45mm wide scraper sharpened up to do the job.
Hacksaw blade old handsaw whatever you can get in.
Or alternatively get a more experienced plumber!

Cheese wire I use

Thanks to all. The solution turned out to be a flexible carving knife to cut through what turned out to be 4 large blobs of silcone. It took about an hour to do it carefully, but the cistern is now off and in one piece. I also found it useful to carefully tap in some hard plastic wedges as I went, to stop the knife blade becoming stuck. Plumber now called back to finish the job originally asked to complete. As ever, this forum is the business for getting practical advice. Cheers

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you guys Think I need to get the plumber...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back