How to remove a heating element from a copper cylinder | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to remove a heating element from a copper cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use a blunted cold chisel and strike firmly with a lump hammer. plenty of tips here just search for em.

Last edited by a moderator:
And make sure the cylinder is only drained to just below the immersion boss. You need the weight of the water to keep the cylinder steady.It can help to apply a bit of heat too.

chainsaw.jpg :confused:

A couple of tubes of that std issue stuff big gas use will sort it out:D

Thanks lads, I am talking about an element that is really siezed and I am afraid that I will distort the cylinder if I hammer it anymore.

Heat it then use a hammer and old screwdriver on the edge of the nut. If you are stuck i'll get the boy to make you a youtube video

Write the word Ideal on the side and Gasman will sort it once and for all

explain the risks to the customer, get them to agree to unlikely but potential problems and then go for your life

Heat doenst work - it only softens the copper and makes it more likely to tear. See my tutorial under hints and tips for getting stubborn immersions out. Always works just takes a bit if patience.

Last edited:
Heat doenst work - it only softens the copper and makes it more likely to tear. See my tutorial under hints and tips for getting stubborn immersions out. Always works just takes a bit if patience.

Heat does work done it loads of times

You may be lucky but Ive seen cylinders which have been torn by people trying to get them out with brute force or melting the solder holding on the cylinder flange for older models. Gently Gently is the only way I would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
  • Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
Thermal store fits the bill but don’t forget...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Correct that’s for expansion both should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They are easy to find by Googling once you...
Replies
Views
Back