how to remove kitchen tap spout | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss how to remove kitchen tap spout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I've been given an old tap to play with (my customers originally tried to replace the spout, but couldn't remove it - so got me in to fit a new tap).
Meanwhile, I've been trying to remove the spout - just for fun.
It pulls out about half an inch, but then no more. Turning the spout sideways on doesn't help. Neither does brute force.
Out of interest, I tried to take the spout off my own kitchen tap - which behaves quite similarly.
Is this normal for kitchen taps, or are both spouts not playing ball?
Thanks again for all your advice,
Jennie
PS. The old tap in the picture suffered pitting corrosion on the chrome. It was only four years old. Any ideas what might have caused this? 2014-02-10 17.25.43.jpg

Nope.. no screws or holes anywhere. Both taps have a screw collar, which both unscrew and slide up. Then the tap spouts pull out about halfway, then get stuck.

It's a long shot but have you tried removing the cartridges to see if there's any hidden screw in the sides?

WD40 Jennie ,if there is no grub screw etc , its probably just stuck.
GIVE IT SOME STICK lol

Agree, it is likely just getting stuck on the last O ring seal. Needs a lot of pull with a twist to remove. Probably wise to spray some lube in the half pulled out neck & leave it for another day. I had to do same with similar neck that customer had screwed the collar nut back & pulled neck up & couldn't get it down again. Silicone grease sorted it.

just jamming on an oring on the spout normally a couple there

Hi all,
I've been given an old tap to play with (my customers originally tried to replace the spout, but couldn't remove it - so got me in to fit a new tap).
Meanwhile, I've been trying to remove the spout - just for fun.
It pulls out about half an inch, but then no more.

Try KY lube, if it's just for fun? :smile:

Jennie, - just a tip on removing the spout that I have just learned, - if it is a light spout DON'T twist it to one side when pulling it up or it will likely snap! I have just done that! :smile:

Got to be stuck on second o-ring. If its for fun stick a torch on it and you will soon find out

probably a split ring holding. More brute force required :)

The mixer spouts with a nut holding them on that I have come across recently do not have a split ring - apart from a plastic ring that fits into a groove below the nut & acts as a bearing.
The base of spout is made slightly flanged out, which I initially blamed for catching inside tap body, but it can't be.
The necks I see, lift up easily with the top O ring exposed, but won't lift beyond that & the only thing that I can think of is the bottom O ring is catching on a hole in the side of the body (where the mains water enters the external part of neck). Has to be.
I have just tried to remove one of these necks - a very light cp brass neck, no thicker than a copper pipe & it snapped at top where the groove is for the plastic washer. I was twisting it as you do with heavy necks. Should have only pulled straight up. Just was doing a favour to lube the neck. Won't do that again! :grin: Luckily a new basic mixer i had, used an identical spout, which does show a lot come from same factory.
Silicone grease or similar below the top O ring might get to the bottom O ring & let it slip by.

Last edited:
WD40 really did the trick ! I had been trying for days to remove spout and it came straight out after good spray, great tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just for future reference, a grub screw doing...
Replies
Views
Really!..ok ill give it another go. Bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
M
Your taps are complete. They don't come with...
Replies
Views
M
Aha - I didn't think of that. It's only got...
Replies
Views
mosis
M
Back