How to replace this? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to replace this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

A customer has a very old WC which is now in need of replacement (cracked). It's an old s-bend WC pan and the connection to the drain sits underneath the pan in the middle of it's footprint. Do they still make WC pans in this format? If not we have a job on our hands as the drain will need to be moved to fit a modern WC.

Cheers for any answers!

To be clear, the drain connection is right underneath the pan itself, bang in the middle of it in the concrete floor. Fitting a new pan with a standard back entry outlet is likely to mean moving the new toilet around 15" off the wall.

Last edited:
A vitra s50 enclosed pan will do up to 9" to centre off the back wall. Sounds like yours is much more than that!

You can still get them online I think ive seen some couldn't tell you where though

Where's mr Stafford when you need him

Get the custard to get a builder to move it back, then you come back & do the easy bit!

i doubt there's many modern toilets to fit that installation & they will cost a bomb!

got 2 outside sitting under a walkway, just in case I ever need one :)

Would normally do that but it's a small cloakroom and the basin is already close to the WC (just in front of it). If I do that the wall is going to have to come forward about 15" lol. He will be eating the basin when he goes for a turd too.

Understand what you say re the basin but you could build the "New wall" the width of the cistern only, leaving deep alcoves with shelves each side?

May be a daft idea but is the room large enough to turn the pan sideways and fit a side exit pan?

I think Ideal make one. [DLMURL="http://www.idealspec.co.uk/catalogue/bluebook/wcs/export/alto-close-coupled-wc-suit-bottom-outlet_p926.html"]Alto bottom outlet[/DLMURL]

Never actually seen one though.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Yes the Alto one is the closest I can find but will still move the pan forward a good 6". We're going to remake the soil stack in the garage and run new drainage to the room. Will be a lot cheaper than digging out the existing porcelain drain 1m under the house that's for sure.

This is the first one of these I've seen in 6 years and just goes to show you never stop learning! At least I expected us to have to move the drains and told the customer before hand it was going to be a risky job in terms of costs.

I know the one you mean. I think he's going with the new cloakroom inc. drain option now tbh as he wants to keep a victorian looking high level WC.

I know the one you mean. I think he's going with the new cloakroom inc. drain option now tbh as he wants to keep a victorian looking high level WC.

In that case, take the toilet out completely and tell him just crap down the hole.

In that case, take the toilet out completely and tell him just crap down the hole.

Nothing quite like typhoid, dysentry and cholera to give you that old-time victorian feeling!

Hi guys. The toilet in question is called a 'London trap' pan. Apparently he has found a scrap reclaim place that can do him a replacement one, the price tag of £200 tells me they don't manufacture them any more. I can see why as the bend inside the pan is perfect for blocking up when turds go down it.

Hi guys. The toilet in question is called a 'London trap' pan. Apparently he has found a scrap reclaim place that can do him a replacement one, the price tag of £200 tells me they don't manufacture them any more. I can see why as the bend inside the pan is perfect for blocking up when turds go down it.

Every day's a school day. Thanks Keiran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
thanks cjg, noted and we'll be sure to ask
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
D
oops I didn’t read it properly.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Install timbers instead of the crap legs
Replies
Views
Back