How to size a Feed & Expansion Cistern?? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to size a Feed & Expansion Cistern?? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
As the title suggests really, which will hopefully help me with my challenge below,

Have been working on a 8 bedroom house with an old CH System with its own boiler room, 75kW Gross Boiler (Ideal Concord SE 205), 24 radiators - 90% of them in column type, anything from 4" to 1/2" steel pipe running through the entire house (F&R - 1 pipe), both the CH & HW circuits are vented, No Cylinder stat and I believe the F&E tank is around 60/70 litres (total area of F&E tank L600 x W440 x H420).

I changed one radiator, but had to drain down the entire system (well it seemed like I did, as it took nearly 4 hours!!), had to back fill due to the feed pipe off the F&E tank was blocked, so admittedly I did over cook it with water initially, but drained down until the fill level in F&E tank was approx 100mm from the base and set the float valve to suit.

Gate valves control the CH & HW circuits so at the moment the gate valve for CH is closed, with just HW set to come twice a day and the boiler stat is sound. So, as you've probably guessed the system is venting over, but venting up through the feed pipe and not out the vent pipe. I can only assume it has been doing this all the time, to which the gardener mentioned it only happens in the summer, but my customer believes this is not the case.

So I believe the F&E tank needs to be bigger; to probably around 100 litres - any thoughts/best practice very welcome!!

gas pressures over set,stat over set or knackered,pump not well(or over set) (if fully pumped) system design issue rule these out first

should be size so once filled the volume left in the tank between the water level and warning/overflow pipe is atleast 10% of the volume of water in the system. so unless you have volumes of rads, boiler and pipework to add up its a hard one to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have two rads upstairs connected exactly the...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
The makeup isolating valve with the...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
I only open the F&E tank filling valve every...
Replies
Views
Back